Author Topic: Gray Family - Obley NSW  (Read 12402 times)

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gray Family - Obley NSW
« on: Monday 03 March 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was Robert GRAY, born in Hackney London England, christened 22 Sept 1839.  His father was Daniel Charles Malcolm GRAY, born Hackney London 1 July 1810, christened 8th August 1810..  Daniel CM Gray's father was Malcolm GRAY.  Daniel CM Gray and his father Malcolm both were listed as Mariners.  What would Mariners do in Hackney?

Robert GRAY left for Australia sometime between the 1850 and 1860 census.  When he travelled to Australia is unknown.  There was a Robert GRAY listed as crew on the Lansdowne arriving in Sydney 6th February 1859 and also a Robert GRAY  listed as crewman on the Primula 1856, who then is listed in the NSW Police Gazette as deserting.

The first we see of Robert GRAY in my district of Molong/Yeoval is in 1861 with the birth of a "male" child to Jane Graham SINFIELD when Jane is 16 years old (from birth Certificate).  In 1867 Robert and Jane marry.  Robert made contact with his brother Daniel Malcolm in the 1890s from a letter placed by his brother Daniel.  Robert died in 1903 in Peak Hill.  Robert's extended family lived in the area extending from Wellington, Yeoval, Baldry, Obley and Peak Hill.

I would love to hear from anyone out there who are related to Robert GRAY.  I have not been able to trace Jane Graham SINFIELD family line.  A photograph of Bob Gray and family at the time of his son Robert GRAY's wedding shows that the extended family were of Aboriginal descent, whom my grandmother's line experienced the negativity from society at the time. 
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Gray Family - Obley NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
What would Mariners do in Hackney?

Barge Men on the Thames. The Thames was a very important trade route.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Seems like she didnt marry until she was of age re 1867. Maybe she was orphaned and had no one to sign a consent if she tried to marry beforehand.

Her second name Graham ... Possibly her mother's maiden name.

Do any of the certificates you have state where she was born?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
A photograph of Bob Gray and family at the time of his son Robert GRAY's wedding shows that the extended family were of Aboriginal descent, whom my grandmother's line experienced the negativity from society at the time.

NSW ER 1903 ROBERTSON, polling at Wellington
All with surname GRAY
Frances, of Hospital, nurse
George Henry, of Percy St, tailor
John, of  Nanima, Crescent Street, plasterer
Sara of Simpson street, domestic duties

NSW ER 1903 CANOBOLAS polling at Obley
All with surname GRAY
Eliza, of Obley, domestic duties
Emma, of Obley, domestic duties
Daniel, of Glenloch, Obley, labourer
Robert, senior, of Glenoch, Obley, farmer
Robert, of Glenloch, labourer
(Peak Hill and Molong were in the Canobolas electorate, but in 1903 none listed with surname GRAY at either polling place.   )
(178 people were enrolled to vote at Obley,  which included Yeoval, Obley Vale, Derowie Creek, Washpen, Greenbah, Goodrich, Wandoo Wandong, Chapman’s Flat, Wambangalang, Dilladerry, Jernie, Emmagool, Killaloolah, The Meadows,  Yoorooga, Timbil and other nearby addresses).

It was not compulsory to enrol to vote in NSW until the mid 1920s.  To be eligible to vote in 1903 you needed to be aged 21 years and over, and reside in the electorate, and be a British Subject.  The 1903 elections were in December, and this was the first election that females were eligible to vote.   Any person born in NSW was automatically a British Subject, without regard to their parents places of birth.   May I please note that Aborigines were of course eligible to enrol to vote in 1903.   For example, the Wellington roll includes persons whose address is recorded as Aborigines’ camp.   
(Edit to add these two AEC links)
Australian Electoral Commission "Indigenous Australians and the Vote" http://www.aec.gov.au/indigenous/indigenous-vote.htm
http://www.aec.gov.au/Education/files/history_indigenous_vote.pdf

There have been a number of threads at RChat that may be of interest, including these: 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342595.msg3834460#msg3834460
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=446687.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=524347.msg5178422#msg5178422

The NSW State Records has published a Guide online regarding their Archives relating to Aboriginal People. 
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people/state-archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people 

Back in the convict era, a chap named William SINFIELD was transported to NSW on the Minerva in 1821.  In 1828 he was in an Iron Gang, working on the Bathurst Road, in the Bathurst district.  In 1843 his Ticket of Leave was issued in the Wellington District.   Do you have any connection for your Jane Graham SINFIELD and this chap?   

Cheers,  JM (Edit to add the AEC link)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1861 NSW birth cert....

The first we see of Robert GRAY in my district of Molong/Yeoval is in 1861 with the birth of a "male" child to Jane Graham SINFIELD when Jane is 16 years old (from birth Certificate).  In 1867 Robert and Jane marry.   

Would you please type up the info from that registration.  You see, it should include the details provided by the informant as to when and where the couple were married, and also where each were born.     

You have them as marrying in 1867, yet the 1861 birth is indexed under the GRAY surname,  but NOT under the Sinfield surname, so I am a tad confused with the info you have posted.   

(Male) GRAY, parents given names: Robert and Jane registered Molong District. NSW BDM #9556

I notice that Robert and Jane G are listed as the parents for George GRAY whose birth was registered Molong in 1869 (#13483).   That birth cert should give you the details of all the older siblings for George, and of course the details about George's parents. 

NSW BDM has authorised official transcription agents.  This is a cheaper and quicker version of the NSW BDM birth cert, and is ideal for family history purposes.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Re GRAHAM (Jane SINFIELD's middle name, following up on suggestion it may be a pointer to a surname
)

National Directory 1867 WELLINGTON and LACHLAN districts
D. GRAHAM, Telegraph station master, Bendemeer.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Seems like she didnt marry until she was of age re 1867. Maybe she was orphaned and had no one to sign a consent if she tried to marry beforehand.

Or the parents may have been against the marriage. I know of cases where the parents refused to sign so the women had to wait until they were of age.

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »

Do any of the certificates you have state where she was born?

There is no indication at all about Jane Graham Sinfield parents or origin on the marriage certificate.  The witnesses are David Harper and John Harper.

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 March 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
A photograph of Bob Gray and family at the time of his son Robert GRAY's wedding shows that the extended family were of Aboriginal descent, whom my grandmother's line experienced the negativity from society at the time.

NSW ER 1903 ROBERTSON, polling at Wellington
All with surname GRAY
Frances, of Hospital, nurse
George Henry, of Percy St, tailor
John, of  Nanima, Crescent Street, plasterer
Sara of Simpson street, domestic duties

NSW ER 1903 CANOBOLAS polling at Obley
All with surname GRAY
Eliza, of Obley, domestic duties
Emma, of Obley, domestic duties
Daniel, of Glenloch, Obley, labourer
Robert, senior, of Glenoch, Obley, farmer
Robert, of Glenloch, labourer
(Peak Hill and Molong were in the Canobolas electorate, but in 1903 none listed with surname GRAY at either polling place.   )
(178 people were enrolled to vote at Obley,  which included Yeoval, Obley Vale, Derowie Creek, Washpen, Greenbah, Goodrich, Wandoo Wandong, Chapman’s Flat, Wambangalang, Dilladerry, Jernie, Emmagool, Killaloolah, The Meadows,  Yoorooga, Timbil and other nearby addresses).

It was not compulsory to enrol to vote in NSW until the mid 1920s.  To be eligible to vote in 1903 you needed to be aged 21 years and over, and reside in the electorate, and be a British Subject.  The 1903 elections were in December, and this was the first election that females were eligible to vote.   Any person born in NSW was automatically a British Subject, without regard to their parents places of birth.   May I please note that Aborigines were of course eligible to enrol to vote in 1903.   For example, the Wellington roll includes persons whose address is recorded as Aborigines’ camp.   
(Edit to add these two AEC links)
Australian Electoral Commission "Indigenous Australians and the Vote" http://www.aec.gov.au/indigenous/indigenous-vote.htm
http://www.aec.gov.au/Education/files/history_indigenous_vote.pdf

There have been a number of threads at RChat that may be of interest, including these: 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342595.msg3834460#msg3834460
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=446687.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=524347.msg5178422#msg5178422

The NSW State Records has published a Guide online regarding their Archives relating to Aboriginal People. 
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people/state-archives-relating-to-aboriginal-people 

Back in the convict era, a chap named William SINFIELD was transported to NSW on the Minerva in 1821.  In 1828 he was in an Iron Gang, working on the Bathurst Road, in the Bathurst district.  In 1843 his Ticket of Leave was issued in the Wellington District.   Do you have any connection for your Jane Graham SINFIELD and this chap?

Cheers,  JM (Edit to add the AEC link)

Thanks JM for all this impressive information.  The Wellington Grays are not known to me but all the Grays CANOBOLAS polling at Obley are relatives.  I did not know the voting and aboriginal information and I will read up of this from what you have pasted.  Thanks

It was known to me that William Sinfield was a convict.  I have traced Sinfield family coming to Australia, John and Ann Sinfield on the "John and Lucy" to Sydney NSW.  A William Southwood (Darlinghurst area) is recorded as being John Sinfield's uncle and William Sinfield as brother (Camperdown or Campeltown area).. No proven connection

Are you able to tell me whether there STEIN listed in the ORANGE area in 1903 Voters List.  Also in Wellington for STEIN for the same period?  Thanks..