Author Topic: Gray Family - Obley NSW  (Read 12556 times)

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gray Family - Obley NSW
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 November 20 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has any information on a lady named Jessie Graham from Obley NSW who was assaulted in 1867 (image attached)

The accused was found to be not guilty.
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 November 20 05:21 GMT (UK) »
WARNING ... I have typed up an expression that in today's world is a racist expression, it is an expression used in the 19th century newspapers to describe a person of a mixed race, so in the article it is about a lass with one parent of Aboriginal heritage and one parent of non Aboriginal heritage.   

I am wondering if anyone has any information on a lady named Jessie Graham from Obley NSW who was assaulted in 1867 (image attached)

Yes,  please carefully read a paragraph at page 2 of the Sydney Mail of 27 July 1867 - heading is Ignorance and Depravity...  The lady you mentioned is actually a child, aged 'between thirteen and fourteen years of age' ... she had 'no idea of the nature of an oath' ... she  'did not know what the Bible was,' .... this ignorance means that her evidence about being assaulted was NOT admissible in a court of law in NSW in that era - for she was unable to swear on oath to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Thus the court was not able to hear the victim's evidence - so the eventual verdict was always destined to be 'not guilty'...

However, significantly the article gives up some information about her mother...  "It also transpired that the prosecutrix's mother (so the mother of the 'little half-caste girl') was living in a state of adultery with a person who was then in (the) court (room), and who styled himself the "guardian" of the girl.  ....  Mr Marsh (JM notes he was the Police Magistrate at Dubbo) said that twenty-five years ago the licence of the very run on which those people resided was cancelled by the Governor on account of so many of the persons living on it in an adulterous state ...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/166795086

So we can draw from that cutting many pieces for the jigsaw puzzle that is of course researching on any aspect of Central West NSW family history in the colonial era.

1867 less 25 years =  1842 ... so a pastoral run under licence was withdrawn by Governor - that would be Sir George GIPPS - ruled NSW from 24 Feb 1838 until 11 July 1846.  - so even if the 25 years was 'iffy' ... it falls within the Gipps era.

1867 - her mum is co-habitating with a male who is easily recognised in the courtroom... - so Jessie GRAHAM is living with her own mother, and a male who considers himself the guardian of Jessie. - So the question becomes - who was Jessie's father, and what was the name of Jessie's mother ...

1867 - a guardian - formally or informally - a lass living with her mum and her mum's male partner were likely to have become known by that male partner's SURNAME .... 

- So I ponder was Jessie's mum surnamed GRAHAM before her mum's relationship commenced or because of that relationship ..

One newspaper article ... but so many issues arise from it  :)

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gipps-sir-george-2098

You may well need to investigate the pastoral run that was withdrawn by Gipps.

JM.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline JillH1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 November 20 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I do not know anything about Jessie Graham from Obley.  However the ponderings regarding her male guardian are interesting.  The name Graham fits also with my Great Grandmother Jane Graham formerly Sinfield and I wonder if she could also be a part of this family and how she got the name Graham.  William Sinfield a convict is apparently her father and got his ticket of leave in this area.
She had her first child to Robert Gray who was a neighbour of some Graham family and my Grandmother Ada Jessie Gray was supposedly at  Bogan River.  Jane Graham Sinfield had her first  child to Robert Gray in 1861  at the age of 16 and married in 1867 at Yullundry.  A lot of this has been discussed previously.

I think it is too much a coincidence for there not to be some connection.

Will try and investigate this Graham male if he was part of the Dubbo police.

A can of worms

Jill Hargraves

Offline majickeAUS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 January 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »

My 2xgreat grandmother Ellen SCOTT was born in 1871 at Burrawang Station, Molong. Her parents were William SCOTT of Burrendong (near Forbes) and Jessie Graham of Buckinbah, Obley. The certificate states they were not married but unusualy, both are named.

I suspect that my Jessie Graham is the same as the one in the article you found.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about her or this side of the family. I have done DNA through Ancestry if anyone wants to check matches.

Kathryn

Offline Thegrahs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 August 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
I think my great grandfather Malcolm Gray was Robert's son

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 26 August 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
 Hi Thegrahs,

I would love to hear back from you regarding your potential connection...

Geordy
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline Thegrahs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 August 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I dont have a lot of information unfortunately. He was born in 1881/82. Malcolm Robert Gray

My great grandmother is Caroline Selina Robinson. My grandfather (so potentially Robert's grandson) was born at Mungery Station. Peak Hill. I was wondering if anyone else on this thread had come across Malcolm as it would be great to confirm that Robert and Jane were his parents. The area is certainly right.