Author Topic: STEIN FAMILY - Erbach, Germany to Sydney ---then to Wellington NSW  (Read 2521 times)

Offline AussieWal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STEIN FAMILY - Erbach, Germany to Sydney ---then to Wellington NSW
« on: Monday 03 March 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
My original ancestor into Australia was Henrich Joseph STEIN arriving into Sydney from Erbach in Germany in 1849 to work for the MCARTHUR family as vinedresser.  Heinrich died in 1854, but their son John STEIN was born only months after his parents landed in Sydney, married three times.  His first wife Nancy ADAMS has a son named Samuel Charles.  Samuel and his wife Myria Louise/a CARR had a son Albert George, who is my grandfather.

From the birth certificates of John's other children, Samuel's brothers and sisters, some of them were born in Orange NSW around the region of March during the period of 1873 to 1881.  John and Nancy returned back to the Camden/Fairfield/Smiithfield area where the last child was born and his wife Nancy died in 1884.   John died 7 February 1939.

My greatgrandfather Samuel Charles STEIN was born in March, outside of Orange NSW and then married in Wellington NSW, where he died in 15 April 1934.  The STEIN family from their Obits are recorded as being strong Salvationist (Salvation Army), which did not continue past Samuel Charles generation in Wellington from where I was born and raised.

I would love to know how to track the Stein movements from 1873 through to about 1910 especially.  I would love to make contact with others who have been tracing this family.
Stein Slavin England Huthnance Godsell Lough

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STEIN FAMILY - Erbach, Germany to Sydney ---then to Wellington NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

1875 Greville NSW Post Office Directory
SMITHFIELD
Stein Bernard, carpenter.
Srein Christian, gardener,Fairfield Station.
Stein Jacob, fruiterer, Sandal Farm.
Stein James, gardener.
Stein John, butcher.
Stein John.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
The online index at NSW State Records Office mentions STEIN quite a number of times. 
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/collection-search 
For example:

Deceased Estate files (these can often include the BDM certificates provided to the NSW Supreme court  to support various probate matters)
Jacob STEIN of Fairfield   (1887)
B V STEIN of Smithfield (8 March 1913)
Bernard Joseph STEIN (27 May 1922) 

Deposition Registers
John STEIN, trial at Parramatta Dec 1910

Child Care and Protection
Sarah May STEIN back to her parents (Samuel Charles and Maria Louisa) at Wellington May 1920

The SR NSW currently has some commercial arrangements/partnerships with various family history websites, including Ancestry.  So you may be able to view some of the actual digitised files via Ancestry.   I understand that SR NSW and many public libraries currently have access available to members of the public. 

Of course, the National Library of Australia's TROVE website includes the digitised newspapers, and it is freely available, and keyword searchable.   So, for example you could follow up on the committal matters re December 1910 and John Stein through the various newspapers there.   http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
..... His first wife Nancy ADAMS has a son named Samuel Charles.  Samuel and his wife Myria Louise/a CARR had a son Albert George, who is my grandfather.........  I would love to make contact with others who have been tracing this family.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342595.msg2215856#msg2215856

Here is a link to a thread at RChat that I have already linked to another of your current threads.   It includes mention of CARR,  Wellington NSW, and is a thread started by a CARR family member, who sadly has not been online at RChat since 2011.

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline steven waibel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 June 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hey mate I am the grand son of Frederick john stein from Wellington nsw I would luv to chat to you about some more info.he was married to Patricia may simpson (my nan).