Author Topic: 1851 census - opinion  (Read 4484 times)

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census - opinion
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 14 23:47 GMT (UK) »
That James may be connected and so might the Stephen from the prison records, but I can't connect them right now. Thank you for finding them! I'll definitely write them down for future reference.

I am amazed that my cousin's family has this census, which is so rare to have, and then on the other hand, I can't find any of them in another census! How many family trees have the 1851 Irish as their only census?
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Myluck!, I would love some help finding them. I can't find them anywhere.

This is the family I am searching for:
John Fee…died before 1923, but I don't know how long before 1923
Is this Catherine's husband or son?
What would the approximate age be?
Couple of suggestions for John if not already looked at
There is a John born 1876 with possible death in 1878 aged 2

Catherine Fee (nee Murray), 1848, born Cavan – I cannot locate a marriage

Peter Fee, 1869, born Swanlinbar, Cavan Bap 01.Aug.1869 Civil Birth Record
Mary Ann, 1871, born Swanlinbar, Cavan Bap 15.Sep.1871 Civil Birth Record
Patrick, 1874, born Swanlinbar, Cavan….this man went to the US in 1897 Bap 11.Mar.1874 Civil Birth Record
John, 1876, born Swanlinbar, Cavan Bap 29.Nov.1876 Civil Birth Record
Charles, 1885, born Swanlinbar, Cavan…. Civil Birth Record
This man went to Glasgow at the age of 12, in 1897; he registered in the military in 1914 in Scotland and he married in 1923 in Glasgow

There are more children in this family, that I can't find, and I know that 4 brothers went to the US, and 2 went to Glasgow. Supposedly, the parents were left behind in Ireland. I can't find any of them, except for Patrick, in any census anywhere.
As all of the family you mentioned are registered in the Civil Register in BAWNBOY, I would suggest that you ask the GRO in Roscommon for a search between the years 1865 and 1890 for possible siblings, giving as much detail as you have on their address and parents; especially as you seem to have move information that others existed.
I think that this is a possibility for one of them:
Joseph LEE 23.Sep 1879
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! The John I mentioned at the top is the husband of Catherine. I don't have any information on him, other than his name on the birth registrations of the children. I would assume he was born between 1830 and 1850, and he was married (probably) to Catherine, who was born in 1848. I know he died before 1923 because that's when Charles married, and it's listed on his marriage registration.

I think Joseph may be another child of this couple. I found a potential 1901 census in Glasgow, listing:

Joseph Fee, aged 20, born Ireland, telephone labourer
Catherine Fee, aged 50, born Ireland (mother)
Catherine Fee, aged 17, born Ireland, machinist (sister)
Charles Fee, aged 15, born Ireland, box maker apprentice (brother)
Peter Fee, aged 18, born Ireland, telephone labourer (cousin)

The only thing holding me back is that my cousin knows that Charles went to Glasgow when he was 12, to work be a labourer digging roads (that's what my cousin has been told about her ancestor), and the Charles in this census, at 15, is a box maker (apprentice). When he married in 1923, he was a grocer. I don't know what a box maker is, but woodwork makes sense to me. Nobody in the above family was involved with road construction or groceries, unless maybe the telephone labourers were laying telephones along the roads???

I can't find any of these individuals in 1911, so I'm having trouble verifying them.

Thank you again! My cousin is very grateful!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:21 GMT (UK) »
No problem - sorry not to be much more

If only it were easy!

I would consider the search at the GRO which could yield more
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion to look to GRO in Roscommon for more births/possibly the marriage! I'll pass that along to my cousin.

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I would love for it to be easy!

I was at PRONI last summer and I asked why they don't have more records online (to make it easier). Scotland's People is amazing! I would love to have something like that for Ireland. The employee said they'd never fight for that because it would mean they'd have fewer jobs. I disagree because if records were easier to find, they'd have more people researching. Scotland's People in Glasgow was full to capacity when I was there, and there were only 5-6 people at PRONI when I visited. I would think frustrated researchers would mean fewer researchers. PRONI has so many records available - in person.

Sorry - that's my vent for the day.

I should add that I live in Canada, and that was the only time I've been at either record office (and probably my last :( )

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I would love for it to be easy!

I was at PRONI last summer and I asked why they don't have more records online (to make it easier). Scotland's People is amazing! I would love to have something like that for Ireland. The employee said they'd never fight for that because it would mean they'd have fewer jobs. I disagree because if records were easier to find, they'd have more people researching. Scotland's People in Glasgow was full to capacity when I was there, and there were only 5-6 people at PRONI when I visited. I would think frustrated researchers would mean fewer researchers. PRONI has so many records available - in person.

I heard the current Director of PRONI touch on this recently. She explained that their priority is to conserve existing material and to acquire new records. They don’t have the resources to put all their records on-line (there’s over 3 million holdings and so it would be a mammoth task anyway). PRONI have a much wider range of material than you get on Scotlandspeople so they are not totally analogous. She did say that some records of major interest will go on-line, at the rate of one project a year. This year’s is a batch of about 20 more years probate files (c 1944 to 1965).

And the NI statutory births, death and marriages will be going on-line (on the GRONI site) very shortly
similar to the Scotlandspeople set-up. So that should help a bit.
Elwyn