Author Topic: Ott Family from Germany  (Read 3341 times)

Offline berniekatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ott Family from Germany
« on: Wednesday 05 March 14 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to do some research on my husbands family as he has very little information.  He immigrated to Australia from Germany on the ANNA SALEN in December 1954.  His fathers name is Eugene Ott. My husband said his father had several brother and a few immigrated to American and worked in the clothing industry.

I know it might be a stretch but anyone knowing this family and has some information can you please drop me a line.

Thanks

Kathy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ott Family from Germany
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RChat.   It is the best place for help with researching our ancestors.

The incoming paperwork for migrants to Australia in the 1952-1965 era is stored at the National Archives of Australia’s Canberra archives.  The Anna Salen made several trips to Australia. The NAA’s online index is available at the following link.  http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx  (click the “RecordSearch” option).  The NAA has a fact sheet that may be helpful http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/family-history/your-family/index.aspx

Please remember that RChat does not allow the names of living persons to be displayed, so you should let us know if your inlaws are no longer living, as you have provided their names.  But, here’s a link to a great thread that one of our moderators prepared, it is the “How to” for the Aussie Board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline berniekatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks we did go to the National Archives of Australia’s Canberra as we need to change my husbands spelling of his name as they got it wrong on arrival and that's how we found the ships name ANNA SALEN and when he arrived, in December 1954.  We are more interested now in trying to locate relatives.  We know that my husbands family lost contact with relatives in Germany so very limited information is around here for us.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Did you request a copy of the NAA file?  It should give you detailed information about all the family, including when and where born.

Can you please confirm that your inlaws are no longer living.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline berniekatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi father past away and mother is no longer able to give us anymore information.  I suppose what we are looking for is extended family.  He has 2 sisters here in Australia but its family on his parents side that we are interested in.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Did you obtain a copy of the entire file from the NAA?  It should/could have information about the parents of your inlaws.... for example (your inlaws NAA files should show) when and where born, possibly even their parents names.  That type of info is significant in helping your quest.   

RChat is not about helping search for living people, so may I please encourage you to have a good read through the "How to" link I provided earlier.    You should also remove your mother in law's names from your original post, as she is entitled to her personal privacy, just like you and me  are. You use the modify button to re-enter your original post.  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline berniekatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Ok thank you for your advice

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 03:27 GMT (UK) »
You mention that some of the family may have migrated to America.   So there's an RChat board for the USA and another for Canada.    But there's 50 US states, and the USA's population is approx 315 million.   So it is a good idea to obtain some details about the ancestors first, which is why I was asking about the NAA files.

You can see the names and dates of birth for your inlaws on the online index.  Your husband likely is named on your father in law's death cert, so that should also give you info about your husband's paternal grandparents, as likely your mother in law helped provide these.   So let me for one moment assume your family is NSW based (only because I am NSW Centric, so I have a fair understanding of the protocols for NSW, each Australian state works slightly differently from each other) .   

In NSW the general public cannot access death certs for the first 30 years.  However, if you are named on the certificate (or expect that you are named on it), you are eligible to apply to purchase it from the NSW BDM.    NSW BDM death certs include the names of the deceased's parents, and the names and ages of the deceased's children, and the names of the spouse, and when and where married. 

Of course, these NSW BDM records also include detailed information about the deceased himself.  .... so his full name, his occupation, his usual address, his age, ..... all information that the funeral director asks of the family, when organising the funeral service.  It is very detailed, perhaps one of the reasons for the 30 year restricted access  :) Yes, of course, there can be mistakes made when providing this information, and family history buffs understand and take that into consideration.   

But, we need a starting point, which is why I suggest the NAA records.  Afterall, they are details given by your husband's mum and dad and checked by Australian immigraton officers.

Cheers,  JM

Offline berniekatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your advice.