Author Topic: Ancestry "new search" disaster part 1  (Read 40372 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry "new search" disaster
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found it that bad, but then I have been using the new search for a few months. I also have a subscription to FindMyPast and am waiting to see what their new changes will be. Someone on here has already said they are removing the address search from the censuses, or at least making it much harder to use.

I presume there is a reason for the changes and I expect we will soon get used to it or find a way round it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
HI again all, to help others when I have found a mistranscribed family on FindMyPast I have used the census ref on Ancestry to see how they have been shown, how do you do that now?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:39 GMT (UK) »
HI again all, to help others when I have found a mistranscribed family on FindMyPast I have used the census ref on Ancestry to see how they have been shown, how do you do that now?

Keyboard86

If you select country and year and advanced, you get this, amongst other selections:
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I've just been reading about the changes and some of the reasons behind it. Apparently, according to all their data, only 2% of members were still using the old search.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I prefer FindMyPast but have my tree on Ancestry - though am getting more annoyed by the stupid suggestions they offer - so not sure I want to give it up yet  :-\

Annoyingly I've been getting emails offering me the chance to try the new FindMyPast but when I log in I get the same old site  ???
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh gawd it`s finally happened.  I have kept trying to get used to the new search, but always reverted to the old one as it was so much easier to find someone and the results were so much easier to scroll through.  I think I  will just keep my FindMyPast sub when it comes to renewal.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just been reading about the changes and some of the reasons behind it. Apparently, according to all their data, only 2% of members were still using the old search.

Yes they've been quoting that stat for the last few years.  Trouble is, they don't seem to be prepared to answer whether that is 2% of all IDs, of which many will be redundant, or 2% of paid up subscriptions or whether it includes those who use at their library who I gather haven't been able to use Old Search for some time.

As they say - lies, d*mn lies and statistics - can be fiddled to prove any point of view. ::)

And there are quite a few complaints about it appearing on their Facebook page too.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes it seems its going to be very much an "acquired" taste!I would suggest when doing a random Census search for an individual you ignore the search route and enter the details in the UK Census Collection search box.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I've just spent half an hour on to their support line, and they refuse to admit there is anything wrong. The best they could suggest is using the "Keyword" field instead of the place of birth.

The chap believed that someone searching for "Mary Jane" would be really pleased that their search offered "Mary M" as top of the list and "Jane Ann" at number 3, with the first "Mary Jane" at number 6.

So, it's official. Ancestry's search no longer uses what you put on the form to find records, because IT KNOWS BETTER.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.