Author Topic: Robert and Charles Yallop alias Spelman  (Read 3755 times)

Offline km585

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert and Charles Yallop alias Spelman
« on: Monday 10 March 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Charles Yallop alias Spelman (Norfolk 1659-1736) m. Eleanor Barkham (d. of Sir Edward Barkham and Dame Frances Napier) and had at least one daughter Elizabeth and a son Edward.  Charles fled to Holland early 1700's and died there.
However, it is also widely listed in online family trees that there was another son Robert, who married Elizabeth Basey, 1751 in Brandon Parva, Norfolk.
But, other than "stories", I cannot find any documents or other evidence that link Robert to Charles & Eleanor, although apparently a document has been seen some time ago in Norfolk Records Office linking Dame Frances to her daughter Eleanor and to "her son Robert" through a grant of land in Barnham, Norfolk.
If anyone can help, or knows more about the document in NRO, I would be most grateful.
Regards,
Kevin.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Charles Yallop alias Spelman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Reading the document in Norwich RO, produces the fact that:-

Sir Edward Barkham (2nd Bart) was probably  married twice as there are two settlements prior to the following marriages.  First wife was to Grace daughter of Sir Lewis Watson Lord Rockingham, 1651.
The second was Frances daughter of Sir Robert Napier, 1661.

The Baronetcies were
Sir Edward Barkham (1st Bart) died  1667  his  eldest son
Sir Edward Barkham (2nd Bart) died  1688 having no male issue the Bart passed to his
 younger brother William Barkham on his death in 1695                                                               he had no surviving male issue and the Baronetcie became extinct.

Eleanor Barkham was christened 8th June 1670 Westacre, Norfolk (note at least one online tree has 1675). However the 1670 date is as transcribed on Familysearch, film no 2262704 which is for
Westacre Parish Registers.

Using the above film number I can find no marriage at Westacre for Eleanor Barkham & Charles Yallop.  On line trees state 1690 at Westacre.

Just making the point that on line trees are very often incorrect and careless.

So when and where did Eleanor Barkham marry Charles Yallop.  From your own research can you
give more info and dates, which would assist in the search.

This is the connection to info in Norwich RO:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=153-bir&cid=1-3-3&kw=sir%20edward%20barkham#1-3-3

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
This link has a reference to property passing to Charles Yallop on marriage but no date. It also mentions his son and heir Edward who adopted the name Spelman (his grandmother's name).

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78499

If Robert married in 1751 (or 1771 according to one online tree, but had a daughter born in 1761!), wouldn't he be a bit young to be Charles and Eleanor's son?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 14 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Further information re Yallop family:-

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78085

Scroll to bottom of page.

spendlove

Offline km585

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your responses... some of the info I hadn't previously seen, but still no link (if it exists at all) between Charles and "his son" Robert... only in online family trees!

The link below suggests that Charles Yallop and Eleanor Barkham married in 1686, not 1690 as listed in all the online family trees I have seen.

http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=1&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27robert%20yallop%27%29

...this is all the info I have on the marriage.

Regards,

Kevin.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Think you will find that the date is when the document was signed, examination of this marriage
settlement will probably give further details as to the marriage.

I have found this, Charles (when in Holland) was known as Charles Spelman alias Yallop.  It states
that Charles died intestate in Rotterdam 1736 and that letters of administration were granted to
his ONLY son Edward by the prerogative court of canterbury.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GrYUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA379&lpg=PA379&dq=%22Sir+robert+Yallop%22+%2B+Prerogative+Court+of+Canterbury&source=bl&ots=rHN7Vk24Qy&sig=pUO_y_WYuu5ZJJBAGV9jW8ahNRk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4BMeU6P0IIiG4ATBnYHIAw&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Sir%20robert%20Yallop%22%20%2B%20Prerogative%20Court%20of%20Canterbury&f=false

Think that it is the records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury which you should consult.  I
have had a quick look but cannot find.

Spendlove

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:46 GMT (UK) »
"An Act for rectifying and supplying several defects and omissions in certain recoveries suffered by Edward Spelman, Esquire". Author - Great Britain, Parliament, 1755

It mentions the condition under which Charles Yallop took the name of Spelman and states "....And Whereas the said Charles Spelman died in or about the year One Thousand Seven Hundred and Thirty One, leaving the said Edward Spelman, his only son and heir;......"

Offline km585

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your info.
The Act of Parliament looks interesting... where can I find a detailed copy ?  All I can see online is the title reference.
Kevin.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM