Author Topic: The Salmonds of Balquhatstone  (Read 7950 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Salmonds of Balquhatstone
« on: Wednesday 12 March 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I recently reviewed the testament of Robert Salmond, Balquhatstone farm Slamannan, 1777. It states that his parents were Patrick Salmond/ Ann Baird, and that he was the only son. However, I found Patrick Salmond/ Ann Baird married 1757, Slamannan, and in IGI, they had Patrick 1758, William 1763 and Agnes 1765. This is obviously confusing, as Robert would have been a young man, born about 1760.  The Waddells owned Balquhatstone for many years, and about 1650, George Waddell 5th of Balquhatstone, married Christian Salmond.  There were numerous Salmond portioners of Balquhatstone, beginning with Johne Salmond  1598; Christian Salmond, (wife of George Waddell of Balquhatstone) 1663; Peter Salmond 1671; Johne Salmond 1674; Robert Salmond  1685, and Elizabeth Salmond, daughter of Robert 1685. I would appreciate any help with the Balquhatsone Salmonds. My particular interest is the Main connection. David Main married Elizabeth Salmond 1741. John Salmond married Jean Main about 1742. Finally, in Robert Salmond’s testament, in which there is an extensive inventory of both home and farm items, he bequeaths farm implements to David Main and John Main.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Salmonds of Balquhatstone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Jim,  I think the First Minister's Salmond's are from the Slammanan area?

Skoosh.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
You're right. The furthest back I could go was to Peter Salmond/ Isabel Boyd who had their children in Slamannan, the First Minister's forbears. I'm not sure how they fit in with the line of Salmonds I'm researching who were at Balquhatstone (Slamannan).
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There seem to have been two couples of those names, one in the 1690s and the other in the 1770s to 1790s. Which one is the First Minister descended from?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Christian Salmond, daughter of (possibly) Patrick Salmond in (not of) Balquhatstone, married George Waddell of Balquhatstone in July 1661. They had one son, Patrick, and Christian died in 1663. There is a testament dative to this effect.

The index to the Register of Sasines is not very informative. It mentions Robert S, portioner of Balwhatston and his relict Elizabeth Manuel, who were married on 25 September 1681. (Robert must have died not long afterwards because Elizabeth married Robert Howie, portioner of Easter Glentore, on 16 May 1686 and became my 6th-great-grandmother.) The relevant sasine is (RS42) VIII.86, which is between 1685 and 1688. I probably have a copy of it, filed under 'illegible'.

Peter Salmond of Whitrig, formerly in Balwhatston, is mentioned in (RS42) VIII.106 and 301, which are from the same period.

Peter Salmon of Balquhatstan is mentioned in (RS42) XIII.376 (1721-1729)

Various other Salmon(d)s who may or may not be connected

John S and Patrick S in Whitsyd (RS42) VIII.300 (1685-1866)

John S of Whiteside (Whitsyd), son of Patrick S, portioner of West Craigs, (RS42) XIV.528 (bis); XV.189; XVIII.103; XX.43 and Jean Main his spouse, daughter of William M of Meadowhead (RS42) XIV.528 (bis); XX.43. (1729-1778)

Peter S of Whin and his son, also Peter (RS42) XIII.339 (1721-1729)

Patrick S, portioner of West Craig (in Craigs) (RS42) XIV.528 (bis); XV.189 (1729-1745) features in some of the same sasines as John above.

William S in Auchengria (RS40) IVA.350; (RS42) II.126; XII.90 (1631-1719) looks unlikely in fact to be the same person throughout, but XII.90 and William S in Auchengray (RS42) XIV.518 (1729-1745) may be the same person.

William S in Whyteside (RS42) XIII.619 (1721-1729)

A word of explanation. The Sasines are gathered in volumes, which are numbered in Roman numerals. The Arabic numbers are the page on which the particular sasine starts.The dates I have added in brackets are the year of the start of the first volume and the year of the end of the last volume containing the named person(s). Vol XIV, for instance, runs from 2 July 1729 to 8 Feb 1745. You need to get the original document to get the exact dates.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Alex Salmond’s gggggggrandfather was Peter, born 1704, Slamannan to Peter Salmond/ Isabel Boyd (m 1770 Slamannan). Peter had two sisters, Jane 1690, and Kathrine 1697. Peter married Agnes Russell 1736 Slamannan.  Alex Salmond’s great-great-great grandfather, John, born 1781, continued to live in Slamannan for the early part of his life, and like his forefathers, he worked the land, as a ploughman and a labourer. By 1841 when the first Census records emerge, he has moved his family a few miles east to the West Lothian village of Torphichen, where his 13-year-old son, John, has left to live with another farmer as a farm hand.
I recently reviewed a testament of Robert Salmond of Balquhatstone, 1777. It states that he was the only son of Patrick Salmond of Balquhatstone and Ann Baird. Ann Baird’s father was John Baird, Muckroft. Robert’s daughter Agnes was married to John Ingles (Inglis). A place called New-fel-dyk was mentioned, but I am not sure of the context. There were bequests made to the following people: James Shaw; John Hastie; John Rankin; David Main; John Hay; Archibald Stuart; Robert Arthur; John Miller; Allan Arthur; John Main; John Waddell; ?James Steel; George Waddel; John Ingles; John Russell; Matthew Steel; Edward Heggan?;  Andrew Storie?; Agnes Dick; James
Shaw.
Myrla Birch a Salmond descendant who lives in Sasakachewan Canada wrote two books: "The Salmonds: where we came from and where we are now!  1736-1998", and "Alex Salmond: Cattle Dealer". See the following link: http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2248
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 15:29 GMT (UK) »
A couple of questions related specifically to the sasine information you've provided:
1. Elizabeth Salmond married Robert Howie 1686. I have a Susanna Howie born 1692 married to John Gartshore 1712, New Monkland. Is Susanna the daughter of Robert/ Elizabeth Salmond?
2. John Salmond, Whiteside, married to Jean Main, daughter of William Main, Meadowhead.
Is Jean the daughter of William Main/ Janet Roberton who married 1711, New Monkland. Witnesses at their marriage: John Main of Ballochney & Matthew Roberton of Shank. William and Janet lived at Meadowhead farm, next to Ballochney farm. They had the following children at Meadowhead farm: John 1713; Janet 1714 (William Forrest); William 1717; Agnes 1718; Agnes 1719; Jean 1721; Ann 1723 (Andrew Thomson); Agnes 1724; Mary 1726; Margaret 1728; Elizabeth 1730; John 1734.
The other possibility is William who married Janet Waddell 1749 and had their children at Ballochney, near Meadowhead? They had a daughter Jean born 1757.
Would you have access to that sasine, as it would be an important one for my research?
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
A couple of questions related specifically to the sasine information you've provided:
1. Elizabeth Salmond married Robert Howie 1686. I have a Susanna Howie born 1692 married to John Gartshore 1712, New Monkland. Is Susanna the daughter of Robert/ Elizabeth Salmond?

I don't know - but I wish I did!

2. John Salmond, Whiteside, married to Jean Main, daughter of William Main, Meadowhead.
Is Jean the daughter of William Main/ Janet Roberton who married 1711, New Monkland.

I do not know.

The other possibility is William who married Janet Waddell 1749 and had their children at Ballochney, near Meadowhead? They had a daughter Jean born 1757.
Would you have access to that sasine, as it would be an important one for my research?

Which sasine do you mean?

I don't have access to any sasines without going to General Register House. I do have access to some of the indexes to the Registers of sasines.

There are no sasines in the 1720-1781 Lanarkshire index mentioning William Main and Janet Waddell.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The sasine in which I was particularly interested was the following:
John S of Whiteside (Whitsyd), son of Patrick S, portioner of West Craigs, (RS42) XIV.528 (bis); XV.189; XVIII.103; XX.43 and Jean Main his spouse, daughter of William M of Meadowhead (RS42) XIV.528 (bis); XX.43. (1729-1778)
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen