Author Topic: Windows XP RIP!  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windows XP RIP!
« on: Friday 14 March 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
The last security update has just been issued, together with a formal notice that all support is to be withdrawn on 8th April 2014.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP RIP!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 March 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
But see Tomkin's post of a short while ago:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=677384.msg5222788#msg5222788

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 March 14 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hang on a mo! ;D

Just because XP isn't being supported, doesn't mean it's dead!

You can continue to use XP for as long as you like - it's just that there's no more annoying upgrades?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:11 GMT (UK) »

Just because XP isn't being supported, doesn't mean it's dead!

I would agree. Some people have attempted to cash in on this by inferring that computers running XP will basically be useless after the cut off date. IF you use a good anti virus product and a good firewall you should be reasonably safe until such times as you really need to upgrade your hardware.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Google chrome is continuing to support xp until 2015

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I would agree. Some people have attempted to cash in on this by inferring that computers running XP will basically be useless after the cut off date. IF you use a good anti virus product and a good firewall you should be reasonably safe until such times as you really need to upgrade your hardware.
This is exactly what I have been told by my 'computer man'. I telephoned him for advice and information about how to find a machine using Windows 7, as I was concerned I would not be secure using XP once Microsoft cut off date came.  He said that providing I had good virus protection, such as Norton etc I should not be at risk. He said that most of the major virus protection companies were still going to support XP, and it was scaremongering and attempts by some to convince people to buy new computers. 
However, my machine is 'old' (32bit I think as well) and does not perform as well as it should and it is so very slow (despite attempts to speed it up) and I know it is nothing to do with broadband speed where I live.  In fact I have suspected for a while that it is probably on 'its last legs'.  - but I do so hate change - especially to do with tech. stuff.  SO I have ordered a new desktop with Windows 7.1.   I did this through my  computer man as it is ll possible if you are a business to still be able to buy this Version (was also told this by PC World when I asked if they could supply me with a computer using 7.)  RIP windows XP reluctantly from me.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I did this through my  computer man as it is ll possible if you are a business to still be able to buy this Version (was also told this by PC World when I asked if they could supply me with a computer using 7.)

You don't have to be a business to purchase a Windows 7 PC still, although PC World haven't sold them for some time.  Some of the online retailers still have them, ebuyer.com being an example and their non-business website (there's a separate one for businesses) still have laptops and desktops supplied with Windows7 (usually with a licence for an update to Windows 8 included).  They won't be as cheap as some of the Windows 8 PCs but they are still available. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 March 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Whatever you do don't throw away the kit running XP.

If all else fails you can always load a linux-type operating system on it.

I have now very successfully loaded Ubuntu and Mint on a couple of Dell laptops and they work superbly.
The laptops run faster because they do not have the overhead of all the stuff loaded by windows.

Ubuntu & Mint are FREE (as are others) and took 15 mins to setup
Firefox (web browser) is FREE (and some of us heve been running it on windows, so "no chage")
Thunderbird (mail browser) is FREE (same windows comment)
Libre (office) is FREE (as are others, and same windows comment)
so, there are your basics, ALL FREE.

Haven't got around yet to see what's available for my genealogy, my knitting patterns or my cupcakes. :-D

Rootschat has some experienced "linux" users, may be they can be persuaded to list what works for them?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 March 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I had a good look at Windows 8 machines on Saturday at a 'retail outlet' (husband's XP is on it's last legs [creaking!]) We went through a list of the software that he uses and all work. He lets me do the genealogy and I use Family Historian (on my 7 Prof OS )which does run on 8.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***