Author Topic: Windows XP RIP!  (Read 9198 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP RIP!
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
"Any ideas of how to smash the hard drive."

Years ago, I bought a second hand computer. On it was files relating to bomb disposal operations. The previous owner was from the military.

Regards

Malky
[/quote
Potentially useful?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
I've recently erased Win XP from over 20 machines at work. They were about 8 years old and ran very slowly. I installed Linux Mint 13 (with the lightweight XFCE window manager) which is a long term supported version until 2017. We now have 20+ perfectly usable office machines that are good for another 3 years at least and they positively fly with next-to-no-risk of viruses or other malware.

If you can live with one of the Linux-usable family history programs (Gramps, Webtrees, GenealogyJ for example), Mint will do most everything else e.g image manipulation, office programs, printing/scanning, web browsing, email etc etc.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
And don't forget that if you are really stuck with a Linux machine and compatability with Windows Programs you can download and instal "Wine" which enables many but not all windows programs to work satisfactorily with Linux.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline BucksFerret

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 10 April 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
I installed Linux Mint 13

Another enlightened user !  :)

GRAHAM
Gough (Upper Heyford, Souldern, Marsh Gibbon, Preston Bissett, Tingewick, Barton Hartshorn), Blackwell (Akeley),
Martin (Maidenhead and Surrey)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 10 April 14 17:14 BST (UK) »

GRAHAM
Except Graham that I did not say that. See my post immediately above. It referred to wine! I use Ubuntu.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 10 April 14 17:52 BST (UK) »

GRAHAM
Except Graham that I did not say that. See my post immediately above. It referred to wine! I use Ubuntu.

... and I bet you don't use Enlightenment, even if you are enlightened :D

I've never had much success with Wine or virtual boxes and I think it would be way too much hassle for the average Windows user (and I don't mean that disparagingly).

Paul

(I use Mint, Debian, Fedora and Puppy myself but I've tried almost every *nix known to mankind)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 10 April 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
On average I am about 30 years in advance of my time (With all due modesty!)
More seriously there is the hypervisor supplied in Windows 8 and 8.1 which is supposedly a ready means of running a virtual machine (XP or whatever) though I have never yet made it work.
Wine is a very mixed bag, and its suppliers admit this, it works fine with Gramps etc. but it has never been satisfactory with Legacy (for me at any rate)

Offline Brutus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 13 April 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
All computer users should realise that Microsoft is just trying to increase it's already gigantic profits, and quite probably many hardware sales-merchants are trying to cash in too.
Everyone should realise that some enthusiasts are still using computers running Windows 2K !!!!
XP will not die quickly, and it is probably the best operating system that Microsoft has produced, and that is not saying much.  Vista was a disaster, Win 7 still inferior to XP, and Win 8 in the middle.
Certain points should be known:
(a) Computers don't just get slower.  What happens is (i) too many programs get held in a 'ready' state, so that they chew up computer hardware time without doing anything.  Including a lot of utterly stupid programs like games, and lots of completely unnecessary bells and whistles.  (ii) the hard disc files become 'fragmented', that means all the files are broken up into little bits chained together, and the poor hard disc spends ages 'seeking' the bits.  (iii) the thing called the 'registery' gets so knotted up it takes ages for the OS to find anything.  (iv)  etc, etc, etc.  Most problems are software problems, hardware problems do occur, but are relatively infrequent.
(b) The solution to this is to get a program which unravelles the mess, OR re-load the operating system.  That is not as difficult as it sounds, BUT you MUST have the original CD from which the OS came, and have the long, apparently meaningless 'Key' which unlocks everything. (25 digits or so).  When you bought your computer, you bought that too, and you should have got it, but some hardware merchants hang on to it.  Keep it in a safe place.  Making one copy for archival purposes is permitted.
(c)  New computers, new hardware that is, are faster, but almost always the raw speed isn't needed.  It's the craze for games, HD videos on line in real-time, etc, etc, which is driving it, not the needs of family history.

So my prescription for the immediate future of XP is:
(d) Keep using it.
(e) Check the update status of your OS CD mentioned above, and make sure you have downloaded any service packs needed (ie perhaps SP3 if your CD has only to SP2 printed on it.)  Microsoft will probably (I hope) issue a "roll-up" service pack eventually, they did for Windows 2K years ago.
(f) As has already been suggested, immediately download the Mozilla Firefox browser.  It's FREE, and far better than Internit Exploder.  Far more secure, Internit Exploder was always being patched for security reasons.  Download the e-mail program Mozilla Thunderbird as well, same reason.  Almost all of the computer literati, when circumstances force them to use Windows, use these programs, or something similar, instead of Microsoft's offerings.
(g) Dump Norton as soon as possible.  Norton is in bed with Microsoft, and therefore not to be trusted into the future.  I personally use AVG, find it very satisfactory.  Their current offering includes a 'tune-up' program which solves most of the problems mentioned in (a) above.  Other vendors may do the same, I haven't needed to go any further.
(h) If you don't do banking on your computer, AVG have a limited FREE version, which does everything necessary, if what you do isn't vital.  I have five computers in my household, for various purposes, the two important ones have the fully paid version of AVG Security, the other three, like the one in my workshop, which doesn't do anything vital, have AVG Free installed, just in case something nasty appears on a CD or a USB device used to transfer data, or a rare access on the internet.
(i)  XP won't die until other companies or organisations such as Mozilla and AVG decide their products aren't being used enough to justify support any longer.  If Windows 2K is any guide, that will take many years.
(j) If you don't suffer from technology terror, by all means switch to Linux eventually, I have a dual-boot system on one of mine, using the SUSE version.  Naturally, the Mozilla organisation has Linux versions of Firefox and Thunderbird available.
(k) Another interesting point.  If you are rehashing your system, always partition your hard drive, into several logical drives, ie C: D: E: .....  depending on it's size, so that it looks like several hard drives.  You can then fool around with drive C:, without danger.  Of course, 2 or more hard drives is better, a hardware crash can still wipe everything, but it's better than nothing.  The average "Computer Man", or "Computer Shop" never does this - next time, demand that he/they does/do.  It's also more secure, all your personal files don't have to reside on drive C:, and the "my documents" directory is empty.   

Ridley, Clark(e), Westerby, Peel, Hartley, Stevens, Smith, Bryan, Dean, Edwards, Button, Porritt, Nixon, Cheaney, Stephenson, Burrow.
Northumberland Border Reiver Clans & their history.