Author Topic: discrepancy with marriage and death certs?  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: discrepancy with marriage and death certs?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 March 14 18:30 GMT (UK) »
JEEZO , just in and having proper read of the post amazing stuff  :o  dont know where to begin , but firstly a massive thanks to Forfarian  ;) my post was just to see if there discrepancies in certs .  will check out the certs tomorrow and thanks all for the great work ,Raymie.

Let us know what you find - I would appreciate knowing if my speculations prove correct.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 March 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Howdy Forfarian , having a wee nosey at Isabella Clarke and James Clarkes marriage cert . Isabellas father is Francis Orr and mother is Isabella Orr ms ,Robertson ( u mentioned Robertson in your post ) and address is Bright st Glasgow . I got a Francis Orr marrying Isabella Robertson in 11/01/1839 in Alloa  , am i on the right track with that ?. Isabella was born in Glasgow on her cert with William McGinnis and Isabella Orr as parents in 1870. have Williams father as John McGinnis and cant make out mothers first name McConnell from his death cert in 1875. also got William jnr birth cert  in 1864  North st Glasgow  . so im thinking your right with the Irish connection with William . Im realising theres lots of Irish in my family i never knew about  :)
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 March 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
You might also go for the Mc(gu)inne/is(s) family in the 1871 census. William was still living then, so the census should tell you where he was born.

Have you found James' birth yet? He is probably registered as McInnes or McGinnis, but maybe also as Clark(e).

The Robertson I mentioned before is a different one - wife of a Joseph Orr. Just ignore her. You are on the right track with Alloa.

According to the IGI (Community indexed so should be fairly reliable) Francis Orr and Isabella Robertson had three children: Andrew, born 1839 in Alloa; Isabella, born 1842 in Alloa; Barbara Gilfillan, born 1844 in Barony, i.e. Glasgow. You can get images of the original baptism records on the SP web site.

The 1841 census at FreeCEN has the family at Glass Works, Alloa: Francis, 20; Isabella, 20; and Andrew, 1. Adults' ages in 1841 were (supposed to be) rounded down to the nearest 5 years so Francis and Isabella could be anything from 20 to 24.

The 1851 census has the family at 15 Catherine Street, Barony; Francis Orr, 33, bottle blower, born Leith, Midlothian; wife Isabella, 29, born Perth; Andw, 12, and Isabella, 6, both born Alloa; Barbara, 7 born Barony.

In 1881 Andrew is listed as a bottle blower, aged 41, born Alloa, living at 291 New Keppochhill Road, Barony with wife Jane, 38, also born Alloa, and seven children. This looks like the family of Andrew Orr and Jane Nicol, who were married in Duddingston (Edinburgh) in 1865.

I didn't find Francis Orr or his wife Isabella Robertson in the 1881. They may have died, or could have moved away from Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline historycurious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
I found your post just last night and I wanted to chime in and say "Hello!" I am William Jr's descendant rather than Isabella's. Your question caught my eye because I had come to something of a halt getting past this generation on the maternal side.

I wanted to share that William Sr's mothers name is Agnes (very clear in the Catholic Parish Birth Record giving his birthdate as 21 Sept 1834 at St Andrews).

My problem is that Isabella Orr's mother is identified as Catherine Robertson in some places and Isabella Robertson in others. Would you happen to know who Catherine is?

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Howdy cousin ;) just noticed that on Isabella Orrs  death cert 1917 in Portobello that her mother was Catherine Orr and her marriage to James Clark 1883 Glasgow  her mother was Isabella  Orr. She is widowed again so a relative or friend could have got mixed up with names in death cert .
 So William 1864 is your great grandfather and brother to Isabella 1870 my great gran ?  did you find william senior had died in the poorhouse ?
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline historycurious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 April 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
Such a pleasure to find family! William 1864 is my twice great grandfather. So that would make us...third cousins once removed? Cousin is much easier :).

I always feel so inadequate when I am trying to wade into these records. Distance, time, and even language can sometimes make them very confusing. I greatly appreciate the insights!

I am presently trying to get in touch with another (somewhat closer) cousin who visited the McInnes family in Dunoon at one point, to see if he can shed any light. In the mean time I am very excited by the thought of poorhouse records in Glasgow! I understand that they do have them at the Mitchell Library, but I suspect it might behoove me to pay someone to check it out. A round trip ticket would pay for a fair bit of professional help!

Thank you again!

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Historycurious , I managed to get Williams Poorhouse records from The Mitchell Library. He first went in in 1868 suffering from fits and had been for a while. Says also sent to Lunatic Assylum , not sure if that was part of the Poorhouse . If you want a copy let me know ;-)