Author Topic: Help with birth place in Nottingham  (Read 7046 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with birth place in Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 05 06:18 BST (UK) »
Anne,

I would imagine (on no basis whatsoever!!), that they were actually baptised in the Beaverlee Schoolroom Primitive Methodist chapel at Beggarlee but that this chapel (or the clergyman who performed the ceremony) was part of the Ilkeston Primitive Methodist Circuit and so the record happened to be entered into both registers.

I know very little about Derbyshire and/or Nottinghamshire geography but I see from Genuki that both Greasley and Ilkeston were taken in under the Registration District of Basford from 1837 when statutory registration began.

A search on Google for Beggarlee (also some of the other names/places) turns up lots of interesting stuff - including passages from "Lady Chatterley's Lover"!

I guess you noticed IGI entries (LDS) for Lettice's christening and death (2 Sep 1792 and 14 Jun 1872), parents Francis SAXTON and Hannah HOURS.  And an extracted entry for the marriage of Francis and Hannah in Greasley 18 Jun 1787.  And other submissions for children of theirs, etc, etc

Ancestral File at FamilySearch gives details for a submitter of Francis SAXTON - these may be long out of date but often worth a try.  There's also an entry in the Pedigree Resource File section with the name and address of a different submitter.

Who knows what you might find in the films of the actual church registers - either in SLC or ordered in to your local LDS FHC.

Good hunting,

JAP

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 June 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
I have said this on your other thread but just in case ... :)

The LDS only hold the film of Beaverlee Primitive Methodist for the years 1827-1837. I suggest e-mailing Nottinghamshire Archives via their website to see if they have earlier holdings (a quick google suggests they exist from 1818).

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 June 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
Heather,

Sounds good!

I haven't seen another thread ...

Cheers,

JAP

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 June 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap and Heather:
Thank you very much for the information I am going to follow through with it today. Will send an e-mail to the Nottinghamshire Archives soon as I have done this message.  I do use the local family history center but it is  1 1/2 hours away and I went down on Tuesday to see what I could find as this week it the last week it is open till next Sept. as they take the summer off.  So it makes it a little hard to do research over the summer.

Will let you know what I hear back from the archives. Crossing my fingers that I get good news back.

Thanks again
anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton