Author Topic: Auxiliaries/Black and Tans/RIC reports - Skibbereen  (Read 1948 times)

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Auxiliaries/Black and Tans/RIC reports - Skibbereen
« on: Wednesday 19 March 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a story within my family that my great-grandfather's house was burned down by the Black and Tans during the War of Independence as a reprisal for something that happened elsewhere. My great-aunt even says that the RIC/Tans even paid for the reconstruction of the house which is surely unusual.

Is there any online index of RIC/Auxiliary action reports? My great-grandfather Jack (John) lived in Mohanagh, Skibbereen, Co. Cork.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Auxiliaries/Black and Tans/RIC reports - Skibbereen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about the RIC/Black and Tans paying compensation, but there was compensation paid as a result of damage to property during the early 1920s. I don't know that this would have been unusual. I have a newspaper clipping somewhere and I'll look for it over the weekend to see if I can see more details. The case that's covered in my clipping regards a landlord-owned house damaged by looters or IRA. The details of the compensation paid were reported in the Southern Star. As far as I can remember there are other articles there about compensation paid so this would be a good place to start.

Offline quinndaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know whether there are any RIC/Aux action reports, as well.  My great uncle, William Deasy (Parents: William Deasy, Mary Manley), was killed just outside of Cork City by the Black and Tans on 23 March 1921, along with 5 others.  The Ballycannon Memorial was erected in their memory, and they are all buried in the Republican Plot at St. Finbar's Cemetary.  I have some newspaper accounts, but would be interested to know more.
Quinn, McGonigal, Deasy, Lafferty

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Well, an update for anyone who is interested.

(From Our-Reporter)
On Wednesday, about neon, the dwelling houses of Mr. Ml. O'Sullivan and Mrs. Connolly, situate at Ccolnagrane, and the house of Mr. J. McCarthy, farmer, Mohona, were burned , to the ground by Crown forces, as Sreprisals, it is presumed, for the recent shooting of Messrs. W. Connell and M. Sweetnam, of Lissaneohig. ¦

About 9.30 i a.m. . inotor lorries of auxiliaries anti military entered the town, and, after aUibrief stay, proceeded in HifTprflnf; directions through the rural district. Mr.* O'Sulhvan'3 house would appear to have been; the first visited, and he states that the Crown forces gave himself and his family three-quarters of an hour to clear but. They were allowed to remove bedding and clothing. Subsequently the _Ihouse of Mrs. Connolly was similarly destroyed. The smoke from the •ruined buildings was distinctly_^ seen from the hills around Skibbereen _^. and it was _persistently rumoured that other houses were also burned, but this proved to be

This is in the Skibbereen Eagle on the 12th of March 1921. Does anyone have any idea if the Auxiliaries/RIC kept records of their actions?

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 14 02:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1481.pdf#page=9

Well I found it myself after a bit. Nothing to see here!