Author Topic: How old is Cissie Layton please?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How old is Cissie Layton please?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Carol

Re the clip that Sami has found - the same report mentions 'recitals by Miss Ivy Layton', so it looks very promising that it could well be Margaret Alice.

Add - Also  a report of a Temperance Rally  which mentions 'the Sisters Layton and Gleadhill .'  and further on, Ivy is mentioned by name. 29 June 1921
 So Ivy was definitely in the Temperance movement.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget...I see on Yorkshirebmd that Ivy was born 1893 and Margaret Alice born 1896 so I believe this could well be the right Family.

So pleased with the effort that has gone into to this...I'm really grateful as there are about 20 of  these May Queens needing homes.

Carol  :-*
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget...I see on Yorkshirebmd that Ivy was born 1893 and Margaret Alice born 1896 so I believe this could well be the right Family.

So pleased with the effort that has gone into to this...I'm really grateful as there are about 20 of  these May Queens needing homes.

Carol  :-*

Ivy Annie Layton spinster is mentioned in her  stepmothers probate , in 1951    stepmother  is  Amelia Charlotte Layton    others mentioned are Henry     her widower   and  a Henry Arthur  Layton ,   no  mention  of  Margaret Alice  , Henry  snr     married  an Amelia  Charlotte Chapman in Sept Q  1901  Hampshire   

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I think you could be on the right track with the name Alice, I have an Alice in my tree, she was always known as Cissie (and she was not the eldest or youngest)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Aw thanks for that Jan...well spotted....I will check things out tomorrow.
Thanks so much for your help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:14 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage for a Margaret A Layton to Laurence C  Edwards
Jun q, 1935 Sculcoates.

So maybe living descendants, Carol.

Gadget

(And a possible death for her in 1971, Haslingden, with a date of birth given as 16 June 1899  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget...That is a real possibility...I can see children for a Layton/Edwards union but they are in Birmingham and the age that she would have been makes it unlikely but not impossible.

There are several articles in the HDM for Cissie and Ivy Layton and also other May Queens for whom I have photos but no ages or personal information but interesting all the same and I can use the cuttings and put them with the photos. There doesn't seem to be a matching tree on Ancestry unfortunately ::)

Thanks again.
Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I found a bit more about Laurence*. From memory he was  b.c. 1907 Sculcoates. Died in Birmingham area in 1994. She was a wee bit older than him  I couldn't find definite children. Would have to have been born before circa 1950!

I couldn't find a marriage announcement but not sure if all the newspapers are up for that late a date. 

* C was for Carlton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 20 March 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget....I will do a bit more digging and look at Birmingham newspaper obits.
Carol