Author Topic: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 March 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

What a result, whatever you do don't remove the paper on the back. Take it to a dealer for valuation, they will want to see that as it is in situ. Especially if it's an original, it looks to me like a date.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 March 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
well well well, lovely painting - what a surprise for you.   uhm  is the 3/11 on the back the fact its one of 11 prints?? 

I dont know, but I wish you all the best.  It is an absolutely lovely pic, the sails of the boat at the front really lovely.

ENJOY it  even if its worth 2d

xin  ;D ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown c1930s Wilf & Annie Cox Chase Terrace?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your very friendly comments.

It all began last Tuesday when our local U3A Art Appreciation Group had a session entitled Venice. It was fascinating with all the usual famous artists but also some lesser known more modern artists.

I went home thinking that I had a painting of Venice somewhere in the house and the rest is history. Wait till I tell them next session about my little discovery. It's "Gothic" next time. Now have I got anything in the attic that could possibly be...........  ::)

Thanks to you all.

Judyx
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown c1930s Wilf & Annie Cox Chase Terrace?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Just to draw this thread to a close,  we did remove the brown paper and found the following marks which confirmed it as a print. There are also two "litho prints" on ebay with the same marks and, strangely, with the same frame.

I am still enjoying the picture especially as the glass has been cleaned! ;)

Yes, Deb, when I received your message just for a minute I did think I was going to be rich but I couldn't have withstood the fame and notoriety. ::)

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 March 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't it just prove that people on this site, working together, can do and find ( almost) anything and anyone? (Just wish I could find a way through my brick walls, all three of them).
You will have a lovely tale to tell at your U3A group, let us all know what the response was, won't you?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 March 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »

You will have a lovely tale to tell at your U3A group, let us all know what the response was, won't you?

Yes, please do!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson