Author Topic: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 14 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Lucciano Richetti 1897 -1977?
Gaetano Ricchezzi d 1950s?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown c1930s Wilf & Annie Cox Chase Terrace?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 March 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ThrelfallYorky for your comments. I'd love to try and paint the view in Venice. There's a challenge. ;)

I think you are correct that the painting is by an amateur. It must be a copy too but I still enjoy it because it belonged to my father who died at the age of 45 when I was 7 years old.

Here is  the photo...and signature....

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Venice coming up now...
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 March 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
It looks vaguely to me as if it's from Punto della Dogano, in front to the "Salute" church, or possibly from San Georgio, a little further over on the basin of St Marks, looking towards the piazetta and the campanile of St Marks. Can't get anywhere on identifying it - it probably will be by an amateur, but does that matter? Enjoy it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 March 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
WOOHOOO! I've found him;- Oscar Ricciardi!  If you g**gle his name, in inverted commas, and click on "images", you'll find heaps of his watercolours ... and even a scan of his signature, which looks virtually identical!

I had a suspicion that an amateur artist might not have done so well with rendering the surface of the water ... turns out the suspicion was right.  This is exciting, Judy!

** Edited to add- my goodness he was prolific. Many many works listed on the 'net, seems he also worked in oils ... But whilst I have seen a similar view of Venice, I haven't found the exact same view ... so ... what are the chances you have an original?
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh crumbs, Deb, what are you saying?! I'll take a peak at what you have found though I can't believe it's an original. ;)

On the back is stuck a sheet of tatty brown paper with the following scribbled in pencil "3/11" and the number "1899". I am tempted to remove the brown paper and see what is beneath, if anything. :-\

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 March 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
 ;D his work seems to go for a VERY healthy sum at auction  ;D  Is it drinks all round Judy?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 March 14 15:43 GMT (UK) »
That would be on offer ;D ;D ;D  but I am sure it must be a print of an original oil painting and the surround appears to be possibly "bakerlite" (Sp?). Also it has lost a lot of its colour though the sails of the boats are still a lovely orange/brown. There's a masted ship in the harbour in the far distance.

It's just great to find out who the artist is. :-* :-*

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 March 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Well done, and congratulations on your sleuthing Deb D! However I have seen water rendered just as well by amateurs, you know. I'd not got him in my sights at all, really impressed.

Ankerdine: it's nothing wrong if it's a print, at least if it's not an expensive original you won't have to up your insurance or add security! As I said: enjoy it, especially with the lovely associations the work has for you. Put it up on that wall with pride.