Author Topic: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 14 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Lucciano Richetti 1897 -1977?
Gaetano Ricchezzi d 1950s?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 March 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ThrelfallYorky for your comments. I'd love to try and paint the view in Venice. There's a challenge. ;)

I think you are correct that the painting is by an amateur. It must be a copy too but I still enjoy it because it belonged to my father who died at the age of 45 when I was 7 years old.

Here is  the photo...and signature....

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Photo of Venice coming up now...
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 March 14 00:18 GMT (UK) »
It looks vaguely to me as if it's from Punto della Dogano, in front to the "Salute" church, or possibly from San Georgio, a little further over on the basin of St Marks, looking towards the piazetta and the campanile of St Marks. Can't get anywhere on identifying it - it probably will be by an amateur, but does that matter? Enjoy it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 March 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
WOOHOOO! I've found him;- Oscar Ricciardi!  If you g**gle his name, in inverted commas, and click on "images", you'll find heaps of his watercolours ... and even a scan of his signature, which looks virtually identical!

I had a suspicion that an amateur artist might not have done so well with rendering the surface of the water ... turns out the suspicion was right.  This is exciting, Judy!

** Edited to add- my goodness he was prolific. Many many works listed on the 'net, seems he also worked in oils ... But whilst I have seen a similar view of Venice, I haven't found the exact same view ... so ... what are the chances you have an original?
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh crumbs, Deb, what are you saying?! I'll take a peak at what you have found though I can't believe it's an original. ;)

On the back is stuck a sheet of tatty brown paper with the following scribbled in pencil "3/11" and the number "1899". I am tempted to remove the brown paper and see what is beneath, if anything. :-\

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 March 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
 ;D his work seems to go for a VERY healthy sum at auction  ;D  Is it drinks all round Judy?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 March 14 15:43 GMT (UK) »
That would be on offer ;D ;D ;D  but I am sure it must be a print of an original oil painting and the surround appears to be possibly "bakerlite" (Sp?). Also it has lost a lot of its colour though the sails of the boats are still a lovely orange/brown. There's a masted ship in the harbour in the far distance.

It's just great to find out who the artist is. :-* :-*

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 March 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Well done, and congratulations on your sleuthing Deb D! However I have seen water rendered just as well by amateurs, you know. I'd not got him in my sights at all, really impressed.

Ankerdine: it's nothing wrong if it's a print, at least if it's not an expensive original you won't have to up your insurance or add security! As I said: enjoy it, especially with the lovely associations the work has for you. Put it up on that wall with pride.