Author Topic: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watercolour Painting Of Venice c1920?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 March 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

What a result, whatever you do don't remove the paper on the back. Take it to a dealer for valuation, they will want to see that as it is in situ. Especially if it's an original, it looks to me like a date.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 March 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
well well well, lovely painting - what a surprise for you.   uhm  is the 3/11 on the back the fact its one of 11 prints?? 

I dont know, but I wish you all the best.  It is an absolutely lovely pic, the sails of the boat at the front really lovely.

ENJOY it  even if its worth 2d

xin  ;D ;D

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your very friendly comments.

It all began last Tuesday when our local U3A Art Appreciation Group had a session entitled Venice. It was fascinating with all the usual famous artists but also some lesser known more modern artists.

I went home thinking that I had a painting of Venice somewhere in the house and the rest is history. Wait till I tell them next session about my little discovery. It's "Gothic" next time. Now have I got anything in the attic that could possibly be...........  ::)

Thanks to you all.

Judyx
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 March 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Just to draw this thread to a close,  we did remove the brown paper and found the following marks which confirmed it as a print. There are also two "litho prints" on ebay with the same marks and, strangely, with the same frame.

I am still enjoying the picture especially as the glass has been cleaned! ;)

Yes, Deb, when I received your message just for a minute I did think I was going to be rich but I couldn't have withstood the fame and notoriety. ::)

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 March 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't it just prove that people on this site, working together, can do and find ( almost) anything and anyone? (Just wish I could find a way through my brick walls, all three of them).
You will have a lovely tale to tell at your U3A group, let us all know what the response was, won't you?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 March 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »

You will have a lovely tale to tell at your U3A group, let us all know what the response was, won't you?

Yes, please do!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson