Author Topic: The Monmouth Rebels 1685  (Read 24774 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: The Monmouth Rebels 1685
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 June 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that very interesting extra background, Regorian!
...and Clarkey500, mis-spelled John SHEIRE (sic): "Presented at Wells and bound over."
Philip SHIER junior, miller: "Of Lyme Regis, absent, supposed."

Looks like neither suffered in the aftermath...
Keith

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 June 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith!  :)
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline gaynor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 July 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
There is a book , free to read , on the site
                    babel.hathitrust.org
which lists the "rebels" who were convicted & then transported to Barbados in 1685 .
Along with their names are their ages , occupations , which prison they had been held in , which ship they were transported on & from which Port , the name of the ship's Captain , and if they survived the journey ( some died & were " buried at sea " - those that died en route are also named )  the date when they arrived / were delivered in Barbados & the name of the person who bought them.
There is also a list of names of those that " survived " their 10 year sentence and were allowed to buy passage from Barbados , with dates , names of the ships and their destinations - some returned to the U.K. but most who left Barbados went to the U.S. 

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 October 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have just purchased a copy of the book: "The Monmouth Rebels", compiled by W. Macdonald Winfield and published in 1985.  It lists all the Rebels rounded up and tried at the infamous Bloody Assizes all over the West Country after the battle of Sedgemoor in 1685.  Most of the individuals are from Somerset, though of course there are others from Devon and Dorset, and a very few from Wiltshire and Hampshire.
If anyone suspects they may have had family members from this time involved in this desperate episode in English history, I'm more than willing to look up any reference to them in this book...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Dear Keith,
I hope this finds you well?
I wondered if it might be possible for you to look up Sweetland /Swetland /sweatland/swatland for me please?
Best wishes
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 October 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Matthew,
I'll PM you with the details given on all the individuals I mentioned, and you can then see whether any of them fit into your family anywhere…
keith

Hi Keith

It's been a while since I looked at this board and I've found out a bit more about the families I mentioned. Would you mind resending me the details you found regarding the name Dyke please?

Many thanks

Matt

Offline Aperkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 April 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have just purchased a copy of the book: "The Monmouth Rebels", compiled by W. Macdonald Winfield and published in 1985.  It lists all the Rebels rounded up and tried at the infamous Bloody Assizes all over the West Country after the battle of Sedgemoor in 1685.  Most of the individuals are from Somerset, though of course there are others from Devon and Dorset, and a very few from Wiltshire and Hampshire.
If anyone suspects they may have had family members from this time involved in this desperate episode in English history, I'm more than willing to look up any reference to them in this book...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I’m looking for any info on John Minifee,  out of Honiton/Dorset

Much Appreciated
Amber

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Any Luffman involved, could be Dorset, Somerset or Wiltshire. Variant spellings, Loughman. Thanks Keith.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 July 21 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Could you look up for any DAY family members in the rebels I had read elsewhere there were involved. Also if any ROWETT family members were there.

Kind Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline JayneD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 02 December 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a book , free to read , on the site
                    babel.hathitrust.org
which lists the "rebels" who were convicted & then transported to Barbados in 1685 .
Along with their names are their ages , occupations , which prison they had been held in , which ship they were transported on & from which Port , the name of the ship's Captain , and if they survived the journey ( some died & were " buried at sea " - those that died en route are also named )  the date when they arrived / were delivered in Barbados & the name of the person who bought them.
There is also a list of names of those that " survived " their 10 year sentence and were allowed to buy passage from Barbados , with dates , names of the ships and their destinations - some returned to the U.K. but most who left Barbados went to the U.S.

I've been looking for the book Gaynor refers to in her post to help with my research but haven't managed to find it. Has anyone managed to find it? If so, can you point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks
Jayne