Author Topic: George Chesters  (Read 2563 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Chesters
« on: Friday 21 March 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help regarding George Chesters. He was born in Chester in 1836, and in 1858 (22 Feb) he joined up in the 34th  Regiment of Foot - Regimental number 500. In the 1861 census, he was at Colchester Infantry Barracks. He married in 1864, as a groom in the regiment, and by the 1871 census was in Boxted Essex as a coachman. So, some time between 1864 and 1871, he left the army. I have not yet found any information as to how or why he left. Was he discharged, honourably or dishonorably, did he buy his way out, or what?

Any information would be very gratefully received.

A Chesters
In Australia 

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Chesters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 14 07:14 GMT (UK) »
The likely explanation is that he enlisted for ten years limited service. In order to earn a pension you had to re-engage for a second period of ten years. As he did not earn a pension his record was not kept.

The best way to proceed ii to pay a researcher to check the muster books in the National Archives, starting with his marriage to ensure he is still in the 34th Foot, then working forwards. If his marriage certificate does not give his regiment you may have to start in Qtr 2 1861.

How do you know that he enlisted in February 1858?

Ken

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 14 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Ken, Thank you for that information. I was not aware of the ten years limited service.

I think that he only signed on for the ten years, as his second son was born in Chatham, and his occupation was noted as a coachman in the baptism record.

For the life of me, I cannot recall where I found the record of his enlistment :( but I have the information below. I also found that he was from Liverpool to Harwich in Essex in 1858. In 1861 he was in Colchester, for the census, and in June 1861 was at Landguard, Essex, as per WO12/4926, and in 1862 was back at Colchester, on garrison fatigue.

George Chesters - Army career
34   Regiment of Foot - Regimental number 500
Enlisted: 22nd February 1858 at Liverpool District
Height: 5ft 8'/ 2 in.
Bounty paid to recruit: £2-10-0. Paid to the party for attesting/recruiting: 2/6d
Paid as a Recruit from 1st March to 31st March ? On-board ship 2 days? thenceforward as a Private

Once again, many thanks for the information.

A Chesters

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 14 06:01 GMT (UK) »
That looks like the kind of information you get from the muster book. Specifically the one covering his enlistment. The regiment was in India, with the Depot likely to be in Chatham. So they must have sailed there from Liverpool.

Ken

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 14 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Ken. I will have to see what I can find out from more searching on the internet, and also find out where I found the information in the first place, and record it this time, so I know where I got it from :-[ :-[

AC

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Ken

I recently got some more information about George, from Cumbria's Museum of Military Life.

The only information they have been able to find from their records was that he was discharged 27 Feb 1868.

So it would seem that you were correct, that he only signed up for the ten years limited service.

I will see what else I can find out, whether he went abroad, or was just stationed in UK.

Your help is gratefully received.

AC