Author Topic: Year 8 World War 1 History Project  (Read 2946 times)

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Year 8 World War 1 History Project
« on: Tuesday 25 March 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

My daughter is 12 years old and is doing a WW1 history project at school.  Through my research we know that one member of our family was killed in the first world war.  We have been on the CWGC website and we also have his medal record card.

She spoke to her teacher and she suggested that she contact the Royal Field Artillery museum to see if she could get any other information.  We had an email back this morning, basically directing us to the National Archives and Ancestry.

Can anyone suggest what our next steps should be?  As this is homework, I'm a bit unsure on spending lots of money on it.

I did try to look at the National Archives to see how much his record would be (if it exists) and I got a bit lost in there!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

His details were :

Acting Bombardier Herbert Webb
67123, 135th Bty, 32nd Bde, Royal Field Artillery.
Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Year 8 World War 1 History Project
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Taking it that the museum that you contacted was Firepower the RA museum which is in Woolwich (might be an idea for a visit if you are near to it) have you tried the members of the Long, Long Trail at their website as they maybe able to help you as well (see link below)...

http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought but does your local library have access to Ancestry (or Findmypast) as some libraries have this free to use in some of their buildings.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If his record survived (around 70% were destroyed in the Blitz in WW2) then it will be on Ancestry, which you might be able to access at your local library, or sign up for a 2 week trial......but remember to cancel your card details before the end.

You might be able to find a photo of his grave through this group:

http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/index.htm

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of useful websites. Here's one about the Accrington Pals but lots of general info: -

www.pals.org.uk/research.htm

Some background about the Royal Field Artillery here: -

www.forces-war-records.co.uk/Unit-Info/5000
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »
As a corps the Royal Artillery were 'Everywhere' - their motto. But you are lucky to have his Brigade. There were three main units within the RA - Horse, Field and Garrison. The RFA used medium sized guns, pulled by horses - hence his rank of Driver on the medal card. Knowing his age would help.

Did you get his card from Ancestry - as they have a copy of the other side, giving details of his mother applying for his 1914 Star. The clasp mentioned was for soldiers under fire in the first few months of the war. The 1914 Star and clasps is known unofficially as the 'Mons Star' to differentiate it from the men who followed - who got the 1914-15 Star, or 1914 Star without the clasp, who were in the rear.

The card also has his date of entry into a theatre of war. This shows he was a pre war Regular. He would have enlisted for 12 years - usually seven years in uniform followed by five years in the Army Reserve. Have you found him in the 1911 census? If he was a Reservist in 1911 he would  not have put in on the census, as they only served two weeks a year.

You will find details of 32 Bde here - http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units_32.html - as you can see 132nd Battery was an old title.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Ken

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies.  Certainly some things to be looking at there.

Yes, the museum was the one in Woolwich.  Too far for us to go before her homework is due in I'm afraid.

Yes, I have got the card from Ancestry with the note about his mother applying for the 1914 Star.  I'm not sure if Ancestry has anything else on him.  I'm not a member.  I've had a quick look and it looks like there are 3 "possible" Herbert Webb's (he didn't have a middle name).

I've contacted British War Graves website, so hopefully they might be able to send me a photo of his grave.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I knew I'd forget something!!!  No, I haven't got him in the 1911 census.  He would have been 16 at the time so I presume he would have still been with his family.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I would not bother with Forces etc nor Firepower. Neither site have a reputation for doing anything for free.

Here are the rates of pay - http://www.1914-1918.net/pay_1914.html

Here is a breakdown of a WW1 Brigade - http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm. As you can see they comprised four batteries (A to D) of six guns each. Or three batteries and an Ammunition (supply) Column.

During WW1 the RA had Corporals, so a Bombardier wore one stripe (so equivalent to a Lance Corporal). Acting Bombardiers also wore one stripe and earned the same pay as a Bombardier.

You should ask her to quote 1914-1918.net as the source.

Ken