Author Topic: LOFTUS, John, Mary and Family  (Read 4861 times)

Offline judyatk

• I am sorry but my email are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LOFTUS, John, Mary and Family
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help with John and Mary (Marie) Loftus who came to Rockhampton,Queensland on the Landsborough  in OCt 1873. Any info on them or their family would be appreciated.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: LOFTUS, John, Mary and Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,
Do you have any other information about the couple?  I may be able to help but I need to know what you know already.
Cheers
Prue

Offline judyatk

• I am sorry but my email are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry but have been away for awhile. They came from Jersey in Channel Islands where they married and had their family before coming to Aus. The last two sons were born in Aust. John worked on the railway at Stanley Creek Qld. He had a son John Hardwick Loftus also of Stanley Creek, other family, were Mary jane, Alice Mary Jane, Sussanah Emma, Albert George and James John (my grandfather) he was brought up by his sister Alice (Hill) and they changed his name to James Richard Hill - whether by adoption is not known. He came to NZ and married Violet Moss, they died in 1919 in the flu epidemic. I belived he was named in his mother's will as the  trustee!! His mother died in early 10.1.1902.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline benko

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 04:07 BST (UK) »
I am new to this chat forum but I have been recently working at Stanley Creek, Queensland and viewed the grave and headstone of John Loftus who died in 1899.
This seems to correlate with other info I have read  that John , born in 1837 died in Qld in 1899 , as shown on the headstone. His spouse is also recorded as Marie Eugenie Henriette Le Fevre, so it looks like the same John rests in an historical cemetery at Umolo,  ( Stanley Creek ). The Rockhampton Council has responsibility for the maintenance of this declared historic cemetery.

The Loftus children are also recorded in Dingo School centenary handbook attending school in the 1880's at Dingo School, near Stanley Creek.
I have photographs of the headstone if interested. Interestingly, the headstone is inscribed " John Loftus from Nottingham "I also have found records of Johns employment with the railway during the late 1890s.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, benko

What a great find.  I note, though that judyark hasn't been on R'chat since 2011, so I hope she gets the email letting her know there is a reply.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Benko,

Welcome to RootsChat, yes what an interesting find to make..

I am sorry but judyatk emails are not working at the moment (I think she has a new one) but I have done some searching and think I may have found her - Just sent a message to say of your new reply to her post.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 August 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Intestate Notice for John Loftus, farmer of Stanley Creek near Rockhampton was gazetted for the Rockhamptobn Court on 20th January 1900.

Gerry

Offline Trudy Lloyd-Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 September 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
My husband was recently working on a remote cattle property halfway between dingo and bluff in central Queensland. He found a grave and headstone in the bush. He took a photo of it. It reads... In loving memory of John loftus of Nottingham England who died December 29 th 1899 aged 62 years and ? Months. Rest in peace. We googled him and it led to a request from this site. We hope this information is helpful to you. All the best, Trudy and Robert. We have a photo of grave also.

Offline Catsflap. J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 October 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, benko & Trudy Lloyd-Harding, for your accounts regarding the grave of John Loftus.
John from Nottingham was my great-grandfather and I am delighted at long last, to know where his grave is sited. I would be most grateful to either of you if you could possibly sent me a photo of his headstone. Thank you both for this interesting news.