Author Topic: Peter Langan,Fenian.  (Read 5209 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Langan,Fenian.
« on: Wednesday 26 March 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Very little is known about or documented of Peter Langan a founder member of the Fenians or Irish Republican Brotherhood,founded on Patricks day 1858 on the premises of  Peters timber yard in 16 Lombard St,Dublin.
My brother and i have for years being researching our great grandfather Matthew O'Neill involved in the same movement since its inception and were naturally interested in his fellow Fenians so read up on anything to do with the Fenians.
On reading Joseph Denieffes recollections,my brother a very astute reader noted that Denieffe noted in his book that Peter died Feb 1863 and also that Peter was one of the last connections to the 49 (1849) movement .
I then looked up the Glasnevin trust and found he had been buried there age 30 but with an address of Townsend St which troubled me as he was supposed to be from Lombard St.
I then found a marriage mistranscribed on Irish Genealogy in 1858 for a Silvester Durr (Sylvester Dunn/Dunne) to Elizabeth Langan of 16 Louvbain St(Lombard St)father Peter Langan,so because of his age at death i thought Elizabeth was his sister,this was about three years ago.
I then found a baptism for Peter Dunn 1863 of the above parents at the same address in Townsend St which helped tie Peter Langan to this address.
Just recently it dawned on me to check the wills calendar and it was there leaving his assets to the care of Sylvester Dunne husband of Elizabeth Dunne his only next of kin and daughter for the care of his widow Mary.
Because of Peter Langans age at death 30 i had found a marriage in 1832 for a Peter Langan and Maria Keegan which i thought were his parents but now because of the will think its actually Peters marriage based on the fact that his daughter got married 1858 giving her a birth of circa 1838 approx.
So with Denieffe mentioning his tie to the 49 movement i believe he was a much older man most likely born around 1812 approx going by the age of his daughter and his marriage.
I know from Griffiths Valuation that he was at Lombard St 1850s but was wondering could anyone with access to earlier street directories find him at this address or elsewhere prior to 1850s or a Langan dealing in Timber possibly his father.
I have informed the National Graves Association and the Late Shane McThomais(died Glasnevin this week age 46 R I P) of my findings.
Any help with Peters earlier life greatfully appreciated.
Cheers
Dathai.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Langan,Fenian.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 11:42 GMT (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering is Peter's widow Mary (as per will) buried in the same grave as the Peter whom died in 1863 ?

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
do you know what Tara your something else i just dont know how you do it but thats great i was always thinking of going in to look at the church microfilm but that saves me doing that now.
My mind is boggled firstly as how you ever found that and secondly who the hell transcribed that as its not that bad that you couldnt make it out.
Muucho thanks
Dathai

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Dathai

I don't understand it at all - the two men's names are TOTALLY different - what's that all about ??

Anywho, I found a newspaper article from 1840 where Peter Langan is listed as one of the Repealers !

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately at the time i found the grave i was a bit cash strapped and only bought the standard grave readout for Peter but i would probably surmise that she is buried there as it is a family grave with a tall obelisk structure on it and Peters name is on it but barely legible,The N G A are going to put a more legible plaque on it as far as i know,and when i found it the grave next to it loomed out at me with the name Sylvester Dunne and family.
Now the name Peter Currin the witness at Elizabeths marriage has started to ring a few bells.
John Devoy in the 1860s set up headquarters in a pub in Clare Lane owned by a Peter Currin ,i wonder was the address in 1858 in James St a pub.
Dathai.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I would be pretty sure that the 30 (as in age) for Peter when he died was either a typo or mistranscription.

In 1840 he is part of the Sawyers Association - so an 1830's ish birth HAS to be wrong.

I would concur with your Peter Langan and Mary Keegan thought process.

It would just appear that the timber / lathe business was on Lombard Street in 1849 but by 1858 (daughter's marriage) and 1863 (Peter's death) - the family had moved to Townsend Street.

Will you let me know if you want to see the newspaper article ?!

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course i would love to know all about the newspaper article as i said there is very little documented about him in History and every thing we write or show here will be found by searching the internet for future research.

Dathai.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid that I'll have to email it to you as it's from a pay per view site and with rules etc I wouldn't be able to attach the link.

PM me your email if you want.

I can see that there was an inquest into his death but I'm struggling to find the actual article grrrr

Tara