Author Topic: Lost lady in Gillingham  (Read 8675 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Lost lady in Gillingham
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 May 14 23:17 BST (UK) »

Thank you I will have a look, I do know there are others of the same name born in Beccles but it is also another lead to have a look at :)

As far as I can see, Laura is the only one of that name in that area. Unfortunately, though I can't see her after 1901  :-\

Back in March I looked online was able to find a couple of other Laura Grooms, one which  was  married so not her,  so knew there were others around a similar age. I am not near my database at the moment but I kept all the details.

Like yourself I can't find her after  1901, she is with her parents in Gillingham if my memory serves me correct. Yokel's suggestion of her being in an institution could be where she was in 1911, it would certainly make more sense unless of course she married or immigrated

I have not looked at her all the information for a couple of months ( moving house in a week) so I think once that is done, it will be a good opportunity to do it the old fashioned way and print everything off and look at everything including the news clipping kind people have sent me and see what I can pull out from them all , the census and do her a timeline.

Maybe I am dismissing this Laura because it says "native" of  Beccles which she was not, maybe it is just what the reporter was told or what the court was told and it was reported like that.
So thanks for making me reflect and not simply dismiss, as thinking about it, she had left home to work as a servant and in Beccles in 1891 and then returned back home, was older than normal not to be married already by 1901.
I can always depend of you rootschatters for fresh eyes :o
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
The Blofield Registration District includes St Andrews Hospital Norwich.

Following an attempted suicide and with a possible mental illness that sadly would be where somebody would be sent.

yokel

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Yokel
I was hooked on researching this last night and simply because of your previous post as  I had said I had dismissed the Laura Groom in the newspaper reports because it said "Beccles native" and I knew 'my' Laura wasn't born/brought up in Beccles.

So I looked on familysearch and found LG aged 39yrs at Woodbastwick Norfolk,Blofield distirict,  then realised I had 15 crieds left on FindMyPast and so searched on there for Laura Groom it shows her on 1881,1891, 1901 which I knew and also brought up the LG which you had suggested so used the credits to look at the 1911 but it doesn't tell you the address where LG is ( presumerably says on a previous pages so thank you for St Andrews Hospital Norwich)
It did give me more information that she was a seamstress and reminded me she was in Beccles certainly from 1891 and I knew her younger sister Margaret and older sister Ellen both were in Beccles working as a servants and her older sister Alice was too she was married and living there, so still need to do some more research but I now think it is highly likely it is her.

Charles and Susan, her parents moved back to Tivetshall from Gillingham  and both in their 70s and with the new snippets of information and especially the steamstress bit , rechecking where all the others ( I know) were so I need to read the newspaper reports again and see if I can gleen anything more from them.

I remember my grandmother talking about all the 'girls' were excellent seamstresses I have lots of beautiful textile pieces made by my great grandmother( another sister of Laura's) including the  cut work christening robe which is used in the family each generation which I am honoured to be custodian of, beaded purses and nightdress cases along with lots of other cut work pieces, I am a 'textile anorak' having trained as a textile artist myself and these up to 150 year old pieces are really something speical.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 April 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
Your post on the disability thread brought me back here. thought I;d have another look as more resources have come onto services like Ancestry in the last 4 years

The UK lunacy patients admissions register have a Laura Groom admitted to Norfolk asylum 5 Dec 1908, dying 22 Dec 1931

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 April 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Your post on the disability thread brought me back here. thought I;d have another look as more resources have come onto services like Ancestry in the last 4 years

The UK lunacy patients admissions register have a Laura Groom admitted to Norfolk asylum 5 Dec 1908, dying 22 Dec 1931

Thank you so much for finding that,after her suicide attempts  her father signed legal responsibility for her and I remember when reading it, it came across as they legally assumed he was to blame, which I am assuming was because suicide was then  illegal and shameful to the family.
My heart went out to them, her because she was a young women and clearly mentally ill and the family as they would have likely been shunned in society........... thankfully we have come a long way in 100yrs