Author Topic: How to discourage people from helping you on RootsChat  (Read 15659 times)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to discourage people from helping you on RootsChat
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hope you feel better for that lydart. Think I'd better stock up on medication before I do the next lot of transcripts for Freereg. One request that I usually ignore on rootschat is for copies of census,same  people usually. I definetly think location should be included.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
I'm probably a sucker as I tend to try to answer queries, especially when no-one else has picked up on the request - now I know why.  ;D

I agree it is annoying, when you find loads of info and they don't even thank you, or go on and just ask for more.

Lizzie

ps.  I wonder if that's why FindMyPast has made their new site so un-user friendly, so that we won't bother doing searches for other people.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hope you feel better for that lydart. Think I'd better stock up on medication before I do the next lot of transcripts for Freereg. One request that I usually ignore on rootschat is for copies of census,same  people usually. I definetly think location should be included.

Would you be referring to any particular person?!
There's one who has made nearly 300 census requests!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
"There's one who has made nearly 300 census requests"

But is't he/she a census enumerator????

Regards

Malky

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
One that bugs me (and I do try to be helpful, I really do) is the follow-up post (sometimes within an hour of the original) complaining "No one's trying to help me, then."
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
There's one who has made nearly 300 census requests!

300 ?   :o :o :o
Seriously??

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
I've come to the conclusion that some people want their family history, but aren't prepared to do any work or spend any money to get it. They are the ones who continually ask for look ups from the 1881, even though it is pointed out that they can access this for free, want full details of births, marriages and deaths without using Freebmd or sending for certificates and want everything handed to them on a plate. They are the ones who ask for more without acknowledging and thanking people for what they have been given.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Trouble is I think programmes like WDYTYA cause some of the problems.  My Uncle has asked Mum if we got help similar to the celebrities get in the programmes. ::) ::)  I've since got my Aunt, that particular Uncle's wife, interested in researching her side but it's like trying to get blood out of a stone attempting to get her to purchase a certificate.  She's even made the comment in the past that she thought everything should be available on ancestry. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
I would agree with most of the comments made here and I think it's worth remember that some individuals who use this site... do so under the mistaken belief that we are paid...and...that most of the information given along with photo restorations are done at the click of a button with little effort on the responders' part.
I have been asked in the past if I am paid for what I do  ???
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU