Author Topic: Charles MACDOUGAL and Jane KAHL  (Read 1706 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charles MACDOUGAL and Jane KAHL
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my grandfather's family, the Macdougals, originally from Dumfries, Scotland, but who moved to Hull, Yorkshire. I found a Charles Macdougal born in Hull, who married Jane KAHLE on 4 December 1837 in Stepney Middlesex.

So far I haven't been able to make a connection with my Macdougals and wonder if anyone can provide any information about either family. Jane's father is given as Thomas Lusby on her marriage certificate. On the date of the wedding she was living at 43 Oxford St, the same address as her husband. Charles Macdougal was a tobacconist/ cigarette maker. His father was John McDougal.

I really want to either make a connection, or discount this couple as part of my family tree, so would be really grateful for any information on London Kahles (she may have come originally from Germany?) or Hull Macdougals.

Thanks.

Lesley

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles MACDOUGAL and Jane KAHL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 06 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 06 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ticker. I've given up on this one - I'm keeping the certificates I bought just in case, but am not very hopeful.
Lesley

Offline rowan35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Lesley,

I realise you wrote about this a very long time ago so may have solved this by now, but I've found out a bit about this couple.

Most importantly, Charles MacDougal/McDougall was born in Germany in 1812 but was living as a British citizen. His wife Jane's maiden name was Lusby. However, in 1831 she married a man called Johann Kahle. He appears to have died before 1837 when Charles and Jane got married in London (she's listed as a widow on the marriage record). They married in Stepney, London where they was a community called "Little Germany", which is where she may have found her second german husband (the witnesses to the wedding also had german surnames).

So this may mean that Charles is not related to your McDougals. So far, I have not been able to find out anything more about his father John, or where they came from in Germany. I'm not sure if they changed their name to McDougal from a germanic name which makes tracing them difficult. Or it's possible his parents were Brits living in Germany and Charles was born there.

This old thread discusses a lot of that information:
https://www.british-genealogy.com/archive/index.php/t-54069.html

If you managed to find out any more about them I'd be really grateful for any information.