Author Topic: Where was Westwater in Fifeshire  (Read 6348 times)

Offline James McDougall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Westwater in Fifeshire
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Charles McDougall and Jean Mealmaker married in the Murroes,Forfarshire and Dundee in1783.Charles was recorded in the Murroes record as being from Westwater,Fifeshire.I have tried to locate where this is/was.The internet tells me that the surname Westwater may be from a place in Fife of the same name that no longer exists.Any clues please?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Westwater in Fifeshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.

The Fife Herald, 13 July, 1843 has an article about the laying of a foundation stone for a new meeting house at Newport situated "a little above the landing pier". In the meantime the Minister, Mr Nairn, continued to preach " every Sabbath in his temporary church on the West Water".

There's a Westwater Place at Newport on Tay on Google Maps.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
The same paper also mentions a "John Maxwell, Westwater" regarding the Dumfries Agricultural show 1837. This, and my earlier post, are the only 2 references I can find.

Googled "Westwater, Fife" which threw up the Ancestry reference to its link to the name Westwater and mentions it being in the west of the county?

Scottish maps  http://maps.nls.uk/

You could try working through the older maps for a possible sighting - slow work and no guarantee of success!!

Best of luck

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
ScotlandsPlaces website has a number of references to "Westwater" as both a surname and a location. The most likely one for your searches, James, seems to be a wee river in Forfarshire rather than Fife. The OS Placenames survey in 1857-61 describes it thus:
"“West Water is a small river from the junction of Water of Saughs and Burn of Corscarie; flows in a south easterly direction; forms part of the boundary between the parishes of Lethnot, Menmuir and Strathcathro; leaves the parish at the junction of the Burn of Margie and falls into the North Esk at Strathcathro.”
There is a Westwater Bridge over the river at Edzell.
I guess the Kingdom of Fife in 1783 may have extended a little further than the more recent administrative boundaries of the 19th century?

Regards
Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline James McDougall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to hanes teulu and landj for your advice and suggestions.I will look at these and continue sleuthing.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Here is another location :-

"In passing up the town, he saw James Brown, joiner, another zealous Dissenter, and grandfather of the late Robert John-' ston, merchant, Biggar, standing at his door and gazing on the sky, to discover any symptom of the speedy clearing up of the weather. ‘Weel, Jeemes,’ said Robert, ‘are ye no gaun east the day?’ ‘As there’s nae appearance of the wather rackin’ up, I was thinkin’ about stayin’ at hame,’ said James. 4 Hoot, man,’ replied Robert, 4 Mr Mair wull think mair o’ us if we gang on sic a day as this, than if we gaed on twa or even three gude days.’ So saying, he took his way in the midst of the storm, by Candy, Sandyhill Nick, Slipperfield Muir, and West Water, to Linton."

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/biggar/chapter12.htm

Regards

Malky

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
I'd wondered about that too, Malky, though it is in South Lanarkshire and seemed a bit far to the south-west.

I've also spotted a Westwater Place, which is an old road leading south-westwards out of Newport-on-Tay towards Wormit. The old maps going back to 1855 don't show a Westwater settlement or property along the old road but that doesn't mean one didn't exist before the area was mapped.

Regards
Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Here is another location taken from a Gazetteer of Scotland 1806.
LANGHOLM, a parish in Dumfries-shire, situated in the middle of the district of Eskdale…..
….Many years ago, a lead mine was discovered on the farm of Westwater, and another on the estate of Broomholm, but neither of them have been wrought....

Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline James McDougall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 April 14 20:10 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful for all your ideas.However as the marriage record clearly says Westwater,Fifeshire I shall pursue this line.Although I have tried the Fife archivist without a reply but shall try again.Many thanks for your interests.