Author Topic: 'The elder' and 'The younger' - meaning/interpretation  (Read 8911 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
'The elder' and 'The younger' - meaning/interpretation
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:08 BST (UK) »

I am trying to decipher a couple of wills, which appear to be related, but not sure what interpretation to put on them.

My interest is in the various Brigden families of Hadlow, Kent, which started with Thomas Brigden, possibly married Elizabeth Wells 1659/60 Brenchley, Kent, with children born Hadlow, Kent from 1660/61 onward.

Will of Jane Stone, Widow, of Mereworth, Kent written Aug 1650, proved 1659 to husband, Thomas Brigden (who she married in Sep 1650), given in the will as 'my loving friend' Thomas Brigden the younger of Mereworth, Kent.

Will of Thomas Brigdine the elder of Meroth, Kent, written 14 Feb 1653/54, proved 20 Aug 1654.  Leaves bequests to numerous named kinsmen and kinswomen, he names kinsman Thomas Brigden of Hadlow, Kent as his main beneficiary and executor.

He does mention by name a sister, her children (kinswomen) and a cousin

What is the meaning of 'elder' and 'younger' in this context?  Is it that there were 2 people of the same name in the town, to distinguish the two, or does it imply a closer relationship, possibly father and son?

They were obviously related in some way, and I am trying to pursue the other beneficiaries of Thomas the elder's will, but would welcome any thoughts on this.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: 'The elder' and 'The younger' - meaning/interpretation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
It could be a father and son, it could be uncle and nephew, it could be two cousins of the same name one older than the other or, I'm afraid, it could be two people in the same town of differing ages.  Not very helpful I know but it can mean any of them.  I've had the problem on several occasions and had to search sideways quite a bit to resolve it.

Cousin is also another one that has a wider meaning in the past than now.  I've seen it used to mean nephew/niece, much the same way kinsman/kinswoman can be used.  Similarly stepson/daughter can actually mean son/daughter in law in the modern sense.  But then son in law/daughter in law can be step children.  It can get confusing. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
In a will I would be almost certain that the two people involved were related, possibly father and son, uncle and nephew, or possibly though less likely two cousins. Where it becomes difficult is in parish burial records where it is quite likely that two people with the same surname buried within a short time are not even related to one another specially with common surnames.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

I think it may well be research into the other beneficiaries which gives further clues.  Thomas Brigden the younger, who married Jane Stone, widow, may be the same Thomas who married Elizabeth Wells in 1659/60 - familysearch gives both Thomas and Elizabeth as widowed, but I haven't seen the original PR.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1650 it's also possible that they are brothers. It would be a bit late for that as my examples are from the 16th century. claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1650 it's also possible that they are brothers. It would be a bit late for that as my examples are from the 16th century. claytonbradley

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.  I have a couple of instances where there were two brothers of the same name and both survived to adulthood. It really did cause some confusion when one set were having children at the same time in the same parish, no wives were mentioned in the parish records and there was no differentiation as to which was the elder and which the younger, but it couldn't have been the same father because of overlaps in baptism dates.  On that occasion we only sorted it out because one died before the other and mentioned his brother of the same name in his Will. ;D  The other occasion was thankfully confirmed by their father's Will mentioning his elder son and his youngest son of the same name.  On both occasions, as far as we could see, the mother was the same for both sons.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
I'm presently working my way through a Will of 1553 in which the testator refers to "Thomas my eldest sonne" and "Thomas my younger sonne".  I think it's going to take a fair bit of unraveling!  ;D
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 05:09 BST (UK) »

If only they could see us, poring over their wills, making assumptions, getting it wrong, getting it right, etc.

They would probably think we were mad (and they may be right at that).

Margaret

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have 2 John's (half-brothers, same mother) in my tree but I think they used different surnames. I think that the term elder and younger was becoming archaic by the mid 19th century but I am open to correction on this issue.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)