Author Topic: Long Nawang Borneo 1942  (Read 14787 times)

Offline michaelpether

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Long Nawang Borneo 1942
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 May 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Lita and Brionne,

I am an amateur researcher in events and people after the Fall of Singapore - in my research I have come across the last resting place of some of the people killed in the Long Nawang massacre - including the Macpherson family and others such as Fred C. Jackson and the Sandes.

Do you already have this information or would you like me to share this with you?

regards,
Michael Pether
Auckland
New zealand

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,I did some research on the MacPhersons out of interest only,also the Sandes,would be most grateful for any hard facts that you can come up with,many thanks,Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline schlr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, I don't know if you will find this useful, but there is this promising archive related to Long Nawang massacre: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030030339

Also there is a book about Japanese occupation in Borneo, I don't know if it specifically talks about Long Nawang massacre as I have not read it, but here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Occupation-1941-45-Routledge-Studies/dp/0415837901

Best,
schlr

Offline katicox

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 October 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Lita. I'm completely new to this forum so bear with me. A relative, Stephen Harry Knowles Cox, was also killed at the Long Nawang Massacre  . We have some info and photos of his life in Borneo prior to the Japanese invasion. Are you able to pm me? thanks 

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 October 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Trevor,thanks.This gruesome subject had been covered up since the end of ww2,now thanks to various families needing answers quite a lot has come to light,more recently.Have now just found out what I was looking for,after you prompted me to have another go at Google,on a religious site.

Still not found the book title,remember it was given to me when published many years ago.
Paperback with black/white photos.Large informative index at back.
Sure to be out of print now,Thanks again,Brionne.
[/quote

Who is supposed to be guilty of covering this up and why?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline MelissaMurphy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 April 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi KatiCox,
I stumbled upon this chat page while researching about the Long Nawang Massacre in 1942. I am the granddaughter of one of the victims, Desmond Verdon Murphy, Asst. Superintendent of the Police Constabulary Sarawak. I've written several materials on the massacre and now continuing my research on the subject specifically in getting more info on the other victims. I've been asking around in Sarawak for Mr Cox's information but I guess I am lucky to stumble on you on this site. I would appreciate if you could email me at melissamurphy3003@gmail.com for us to share information needed. I have location of their final resting place (if you don't know) and if I am not mistaken, I MAY have a photo of Mr Cox's grave marker.  Thank you and hope to hear from you.

With regards,
Melissa Murphy

Offline Sera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi..I am new to rootschat. I am the grand daughter of Andrew Macpherson and would also like to know more about him..to this day we do not know where he is buried. I see that my late sister, Lita Macpherson had posted on this but I do not know what information she has gathered about my grandfather before she passed. Appreciate if you can share   a little more if you have any information. TQ. Siera Macpherson

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Sera,Welcome to RootsChat.
Am so sorry to hear about your sister,but I have found the following message she sent to me on 3rd June 2014.Hopefully you will not mind if I post the contents because someone may come up with further helpful information for you.
By the way because I am a MacPherson my original research on Andrew was out of interest.

Lita sent the following 3 June 2014.,,,,,,,,

I have been reading quite a bit on the massacre at Long Nawang.I cried as I imagine my grandfather and his family being massacred there.
I was told he was asked to dig his own grave before he was killed.
He shouldnt have gone from Sarawak.There was a native Iban back then who told him not to escape
as the natives were willing to hide them but he didnt listen.
Things could turn out differently for him and his family if he had just listened to the native..

I have been trying to do research on the,, White Kenyah,,believed to be the child of Andrew Macpherson,who was rescued by the natives but up to now no one can help me on that.
Its very frustrating sometimes.
By the way Brionne, why are you having an interest in this issue.
I know Andrew has living relatives in UK and France.
I hope to share more information with you whenever I can ,and I hope you can give me information as well,do keep in touch,,,,,,

Please believe me when I say that I have posted this in good faith,upsetting though it may be for you, Regards Brionne.

You need to post three times before you can send any personal messages.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 22:36 BST (UK) »
There is an interesting article on here, reference.  The massacre of Sarawak Officers at Long Narwang
  kajomag.com