Author Topic: Suffolk - William Rush Bruce - Baptism look up please  (Read 7421 times)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suffolk - William Rush Bruce - Baptism look up please
« on: Friday 04 April 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
I have William Rush Bruce born 1788 Hintlesham - died March 1870 Ipswich.  I am unable to find his baptism.  Someone on here took a look a few years ago, but couldnt find it for Hintlesham.  I believe his parents were John Bruce & Hannah Rush who married in Hintlesham in October 1785. 

If someone could take a look at the surrounding villages for me then it would be appreciated.

Thank you Hotrodpansy

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk - William Rush Bruce - Baptism look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
Were you able to find out all the info on William Rush Bruce?

Do you know what he was doing in Ipswich (St Margaret's Parish) in 1834?
Today I have just found him witnessing a non family marriage!
Any ideas?

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Dulverton, Sadly I am still looking for his birth, no leads yet....I have googled countless leads but all lead nowhere for me....

This sounds interesting.....could you supply some details, as anything might help.  In 1841 he was a beer house keeper in Cox Lane married to his second wife Maria Reeve......I am hoping that the names that you give me, just may link in somehow.....Looking forward to your reply....Regards Hotrodpansy

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Looking through earlier posts on this man I can't see (unless I missed it) that anyone actually searched Hintlesham baptisms.  They are not online anywhere pre 1813 and would need to be done at/via the record office.   I cannot see online any baptisms anywhere to a John and Hannah so either they were non-conformists and children baptised in a non-conformist church whose records are not available online or, they did indeed have children baptised at Hintlesham and these records have not been searched.

It might be worth an email to Ipswich Record Office and ask if they could check to see if William Rush Bruce's baptism is indeed in Hintlesham baptisms as the records themselves not online.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It might be worth an email to Ipswich Record Office and ask if they could check to see if William Rush Bruce's baptism is indeed in Hintlesham baptisms as the records themselves not online.

An alternative would be to buy the CD of baptisms from the Suffolk Family History Society covering the Colneis & Samford Deaneries (1754 - 1812) as Hintlesham is included in the disc.
Their address is here;
http://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk/osc/product_info.php?cPath=31_35&products_id=382

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 May 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette & Alan,  Suffolk sue took a look for me using the suffolk marriage index and found the possible parents being married in Hintlesham (John Bruce & Hannah Rush) but could not find a baptism for William, she did find a marriage for him in St Margarets Ipswich in 1808 to Elizabeth Finch.  Although I have no further info on his parents, everything fits, inc Rush which is Williams middle name.  I understand that he could have been baptised in another area and was hoping that someone may take a look at the surrounding areas.  I have contacted the Ipswich Records Office numerous times over the past 4yrs, I offered to pay, but no reply has ever been received.  I have just sent another request, from their main page which gives there email address.  Any ideas?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 May 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
The CD referred to by ribbo39 is the Suffolk Baptism Index - this is on FindMyPast but can't find any entries for Hintlesham at all (just doing a random search for a William, no surname, any time.  Weird!!

I read where Suffolk Sue had looked at marriages but didn't seem to be baptisms too.

I know that member 'annes' visits the record office - perhaps she would take a look for you.  Don't know what else to suggest.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 May 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Were you able to find out all the info on William Rush Bruce?

Do you know what he was doing in Ipswich (St Margaret's Parish) in 1834?
Today I have just found him witnessing a non family marriage!
Any ideas?

Apologies for the error, I am using a very old PC as my new HP is kaput!

I was looking for the following record:
Robert Issac Dennett (married by Banns) Susan Ann Wilson on the 30th June 1834 at St Margaret's church, Ipswich, Suffolk.
The marriage was witnessed by William Rush Bruce & Lettice Wilson.

The name of "Lettice Wilson" was given to many girls and married women living in the area.I intend to check the signatures of all named girls in the hope that I can identify who person who attended the wedding (Could be her sister or a cousin?).
I do know that the couple had run away from Stradroke, Suffolk (about 20 miles north, north east of Ipswich) as their parents thought that they were too young. After a while they emigrated to the Unites States. They were joined in 1854 by Susan's widowed brother Simon Borret Wilson and his daughter, Ann Mary, his wife Mary nee Bayles having died in 1839.

Ann Mary married in the US a boy from Stradbroke Eli Thomas Mills.

You should beware that certain good burghers (the squire, parson and landlords etc) of Stradbroke were very keen to rid the parish of the "indigent poor", organising (maybe with Government assistance) the transportation of single men & women and people of ill repute or uncouth habits to Canada, Australia and US! I believe that over 200 local inhabitants were forcibly removed from the parish during the period 1815 to 1860.

I understand that William Rush Bruce lived in the Cox Lane area of Ipswich. This was a densely populated area of extreme poverty even up to WW2. People lived in "courts", a group small cramped dwellings all sharing common facilites.
These properties were not demolished until about 1937-1938. Cox Lane area has been a car park for over 50 years.
It is less than 10 minutes walk from there to St Margaret's church.

Can you recap on the definitive information that you hold on William Rush Bruce and from where it was obtained?

Have you obtained a copy of the second marriage in 1838 of William Rush Bruce as it may well state the name of his father?
Just supply the fact enclo speculative info with a (?) and unknown dates as C1831. This will help any person trying to assist you.
There was a Bruce family living in nearby Raydon (NOT Rayden) & Hadleigh in the 18th century

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 May 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulverton

Thanks for all the info supplied.  It does look like my William Rush Bruce, he would have been around the age of 46 when he witnessed this, so perhaps Robert was a friend or maybe linked in with work somehow. The 1841 census, has William as a Beer House Keeper married to Maria Reeve but also a newspaper article dated 1839 lists an auction of a freehold substantial dwelling in Cox Lane in the occupation of William Bruce...I am assuming one and the same!.

Hepzibah from Rootschat has just been to the Ipswich Records Office and did a look up for me, which confirmed John Bruce & Hannah Rush are the parents, and their marriage.

Interesting point on obtaining the 2nd marriage certificate, it just didnt occur to me that it might hold his fathers name.

Thanks again for all your help and very interesting information.

Regards Hotrodpansy