Author Topic: 1911 Census  (Read 1005 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1911 Census
« on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
When looking at any particular district in earlier censuses, I find the first page of interest for the description given of the area under consideration. e.g  "... and on the south side of Adam Street as far as Hyde Farm...". Generally this first page will enable me to establish whether that district is going to be of interest.
An equivalent first page doesn't however seem to exist in the 1911 census or am I missing something?
Thanks for any help, Toby.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census pages etc that we see are different from previous census in that these are the actual schedules that the householders filled in.  Previous census images are the enumerators' books which were compiled from the household schedules. The enumerator copied these into his book, which covered one enumeration district.  I understand that the individual schedules for previous census have not survived.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
My understanding and experience is that you find this info in the summary books, not the actual census pages. Ancestry have the summary books separately to search and the page that you are looking for will probably be page 2 or 3 or 4 of the area you are looking for. Just have a browse through an area you know well and you'll see what I mean. Happy hunting :)
North East of England

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
Those are very quick replies. I shall have a go. Thanks. Toby.