Author Topic: Whereabouts of Joseph HAZELL pre-1891  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Whereabouts of Joseph HAZELL pre-1891
« on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
I'm trying to track down the elusive character Joseph HAZELL, who appears in the 1911 Census in Kirtling as a shepherd, born in Cowlinge in 1853.  He is married to an Alice, born in Stradishall in 1865.  They have had seven children, one of whom has subsequently died.
I can find them in the 1901 and in the 1891 Census, in Kirtling, no problem, but when I try to find a marriage for them (they say they have been married for 28 years in 1911, so a wedding in c.1883) in the area, I have so far drawn a blank.  Nor can I find a baptism c. 1852/3 for Joseph.  Nor can I find any trace of Joseph in Censuses prior to 1891.
I've seen a lovely labelled photo of him in a group of male drinkers outside a pub in Lidgate in 1909, so I know he's not a figment of the imagination!
If anyone is privy to the Cowlinge PR's or can cleverly come up with what looks like a good match for their wedding - presumably somewhere nearby in Suffolk, I would be eternally grateful…
Very best wishes,
Keith
Actually, in the 1911 Census Joseph and his family are living in Cowlinge - in the 1891 and 1901 they are indeed in Kirtling...

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of Joseph HAZELL pre-1891
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

1871   1712/47/ 9

Pound House, Cowlinge

Joseph Hazle 19 yrs son

Householders John and Elizabeth Braddy / Broddy

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
The question on the 1911 census is: How many COMPLETE years of marriage?

So this looks very likely:

June qtr 1882
Risbridge district    vol 4a, page 673

Hazel, Joseph
Ransom, Alice

Cowlinge is a parish within thee Risbridge Registration District.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Hazle married John Braddy September 1854

1861 has your Joseph as Braddy

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
I started transcribing.

But, wrong family!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 April 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
Goodness me!  I've just popped in the shower, and I come back to all these wonderful posts, Heywood and KGarrad…
That's an almost definite for the marriage, I would say.  But there seems to be some obscurity yet over his origins.  I'll have a close look at those Census entries now.  Thank you both so much…
Keith
ah, but the inference is, on your post, Heywood, that Joseph could have already been born to Elizabeth HAZLE before she tied the knot with John BRADDY, I see...

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:00 BST (UK) »
I don't think there is obscurity just various relationships  :)

Elizabeth Hasel is 'daughter in law' - stepdaughter to Henry Prigg. His wife is transcribed as AMA. She is presumably Elizabeth's mother.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
I like the way Joseph's occupation, at the tender age of 9 in that 1861 Census is already given as "Labourer".  In the photo that I spoke about he has a most rugged, weatherbeaten look, presumably from years spent outside picking stones, scaring crows, and ultimately minding his sheep.
If I can get permission to show that photo, I'll post it on here, it's a really good evocation of how some menfolk looked just over 100 years ago in a rural community.
Keith
N.B. I wonder whether the original PR's for Cowlinge would have a more precise description of the family status with which both Joseph and his mother Elizabeth were brought into the world - I suppose it would depend on the attitude of the incumbent priest, and how he described them in the baptisms...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
…and I see in the 1841 Census for Cowlinge (the PRIGG family is spread over 2 pages at the very end), that Elizabeth's probable mother's name is given here as Amy, and that Elizabeth had no less than three other siblings, William the youngest at 5 years, Abraham, 8, and John, 9.  It is more than likely therefore, that their mother had been married, widowed, and than got hitched up with Henry Prigg in the mid 1830's
keith
and now, prompted by all the great help and assistance on this thread with subjects such as surname variation (in 1909, when he was a witness to his daughter Rose's wedding he made the mark of a cross), I have discovered him in the 1881 Census.  Rather a bizarre entry this, as he has himself as Joseph HAZLE, Head of Family, aged 29, with just a servant housekeeper in Allace (sic) Ransom aged 18, and an Emily aged 55, described as "mother, married".  Not quite sure where she fits into the equation.
They're at Pound House.  Cowlinge seems to be such a small community, I'm sure everyone knew everyone else's business, a pity we can't now ask those parishioners what exactly what was going on!