Author Topic: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey  (Read 6691 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 May 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
The Reillys weren't from Aghadowey so I don't have any details about them. Not sure when they married but were in Ardreagh 1939. The 1949 Electoral Roll only lists 2 children with the parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KerryBeau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 May 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help. I now have such a great deal of information on my nans side. I never realised the Reilly family were not from Aghadowey but will continue my search.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 May 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Just to correct a few details posted earlier in this thread-
Reply #5 William my grandfather went to Allentown, Pennsylvania 1868/9 with wife number 1, Mary Ann KNIGHT who had Martha m William Kelly USA, Mary Ann m Albert Wentzel USA, child buried 6/8/1873, Anna (Annie) m Joseph Cramsey and Jane who married Torrens KNIGHT
William Roxborough m.(1868) Mary Ann Knight (d.1898 Bellury)- children:
1. Martha Jane Roxberry (1869 Allentown-1948) m.(1889 Moneydig) James Beattie. They had a son a few months later who only lived a few hours. She returned to Allentown, Penn. Had a son called William Kelly but no sign of child’s father & she was known as Martha Roxberry.
2. Mary Ann Roxberry (1871 Penn.) m.(7 Mar.1906) Albert Wentzel
3. child (buried 1873 Allentown)
4. Agnes/Nancy/Anna/Annie Roxberry (c1875 Allentown-1950) m.(1893 Ballymena) Robert Wasson. They had 4 children- he (widower) & 2 daughters in 1911 census, eldest son died young, 4th children William Wasson born 22 July 1902 Bellury. Son William was raised by Knight family & went to U.S. 1923 where he was known as William Joseph Roxborough. Agnes/etc. went back to Allentown & was supposed to have married Joseph Cramsey.
5. Jane Roxborough (c1877 Allentown-1939)- she & Torrens Knight had 7 children

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 May 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Reply #5 William my grandfather returned to N Ireland approx 1893/4 married wife number 2 Elizabeth McCAUGHERN who had Rachel died 1901, Annie died 1904, sister Sarah 1904 (? twin of Annie probably although possible to have 2 children 9 months apart as it happened again with Ellen!)  raised by her mother's brother and sister near Rasharkin.  Mother Elizabeth died of birth complications 1906.

William Roxborough bought a farm at Bellury c1885 where his first wife died in 1898.
Rachel born 1901 was not William's daughter-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01958/1755639.pdf
Annie born 1904 was Rachel's sister but their father was a different William Roxborough-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01809/1708678.pdf

Daughter Sarah born 1904 Bellury- in 1911 Sarah is living with her father at Seygorry-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01809/1708679.pdf

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 May 20 02:21 BST (UK) »
The William Roxborough the father of the Rachael 23/3/1901 and Annie Elizabeth 29/9/1904 found by Aghadowey is a blacksmith of Caheny and the mother is Catherine Dempsey Roxborough.  This may explain the births 9 months apart, they were to different parents rather than being 'Irish twins' as my Irish family called them!

NB the spelling (on this document) of the ms of the wife of Wiiliam Roxborough farmer of Ballury, Elizabeth Roxborough and that is McCahon.  This is another spelling to add to the list when searching!

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 April 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm a descendant of Richard Roxborough and Mary Peden of Bovagh and researching the Roxborough families from Aghadowey.

Can anyone help me with the following.
are there any surviving documents for Aghadowey Prespetyrian Church around the 1820s and 1830s? such as named payers of fees for church stalls? Or congregation lists? I am trying to establish which church they were a member of at this time.

Also more specifically I'm interested in finding out more about a William Roxborough who Marries Mary Torrance c.1830's. Where and when were they married? names of fathers, witnesses, places etc.

Any help gratefully received

Ady

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 April 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 April 23 10:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Pre-1840 there really aren't any useful records for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church. Baptisms don't start until 1855 and there are no burial records (except a later map of the graveyard and notes done in 1950s with the old church sexton). The early communicants rolls have long disappeared. The first Stipend List (showing pew holders) is 1832/1835 (a Richard Roxborough in pew number 141 along with William Roxborough, Jasper Roxborough and John McNeal & Danl McNeal- these Roxboroughs were from Ballynacally Beg). Note: pew numbers are the old ones not the current numbers as the church was renovated before WWI and pews, aisles, gallery, etc. changed. The 1836/1839 list is the same. Next list 1840/1844 shows on William Rosborough, Daniel McNeal and Jasper Rosborough.

Regarding Richard Roxborough and Mary Pedan the marriage supposed to be 1828. Mary died in 1890 and Richard in 1901.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06108/4743664.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05740/4620517.pdf (informant- grdau. Lizzie Roxborough, Bovagh)
I know of five children: James (went to Liverpool, England), John, William, Rachel Brown, Anne.

Pre-registration of marriages (1845) there will be limited details in church records (if such records survive)- usually just date, bride & groom and perhaps name of minister and two witnesses. The marriages for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church only start in 1845.

William Roxborough and Mary Torrance probably married early 1840s as oldest known child born c1841 at Caheny. Known children: James, John, William, Jennie, Mary Ann, Richard, daughter, Samuel. Many of this family emigrated to Allentown, Pennsylvania although some did return to Ireland.

Offline Ady Roxburgh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 09 April 23 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again, and a big thank you to both of you for your replies !

I am from the Liverpool line (James).

My current interest is as follows -  In 1831 John Roxborough is listed as farming at Bovagh.  I am thinking that this is Richards father. That Richard takes up the farm at Bovagh sometime before the griffith Evaluation in 1853.
Richard marries Mary Peden Oct 1829 (Garvagh, presumably her Parish Church, not his) and presumably sets up a family home somewhere locally at this time. So it is reasonable that he his not listed at Bovagh.  In 1831 there is only one Richard Roxborough, listed at living at Mullahinch, not Ballanacally Mere (im assuming Ballynacally Beg).  But i am also looking at a possible connection between William Roxboroughs family at Caheny. This is because I think he might have been Richard's brother (maybe the Richard and William you found in the stipend list are these brothers). I saw something online that a younger James Roxborough (married a different younger Elisabeth Callaghan) who followed my side of the families move to Greenock (before we moved onto Liverpool). This younger James' father is a William from Caheny.

Would you know if there are any Peden families in the stipend lists for Aghadowey ? Mary Peden does not seem to be listed in the Mayoghill congregation at Garvagh.

Also I think the Roxboroughs were using St Guaires as well. Are there any records from the 1820's and 1830's of use there ?

Many thanks

Ady