Author Topic: Drypool Cemetery, Hull - (disused one)  (Read 17256 times)

Offline Woollybear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drypool Cemetery, Hull - (disused one)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 June 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
Ah, right, I see your problem. I thought the EYFHS had got the headstones transcribed while they were still all ranged round the perimeter walls after the cemetery itself had been cleared and grassed.  I would imagine then, that the answer is that HUll City Council took them away, broke them up, and used them for hardcore somewhere! The whole area was levelled in the early 1970s and everyone moved out to Bransholme (we'd already gone, five years before) so there wouldn't have been any local residents around to object, and in 1970, family history research was still in its infancy, I remember when I joined the EYFHS in 1976 I was only member number 269, at that time.

One thought that might be worth pursuing - I was recently ploughing through the wartime Hull Daily Mails for research for a forthcoming book, and I happened to see a sort of statutory notice that the council had obviously had to put in the paper because they were proposing to demolish and clear the old Methodist Church in Cogan Street, which had previously been a Synagogue, going way back when... anyway, they were advertising in this great long rigmarole because the site contained human remains and they were proposing to remove everything, and the advert also contained a list of all of the people mentioned on all the remaining memorials. I wonder if this was a staututory thing, and if so, whether the council were obliged to put one in the paper for the Drypool and Southcoates Cemetery. Might be worth a trawl.

But yes, generally, Hull City Council's attitude to historical artefacts in the 1970s makes the Philistines look like paragons of culture. The Crowle Street and Empringham Street "shrines" (street memorials to the local dead of the first world war) also disappeared around the time of the demolition, and nobody knows what happened to them, either. Fortunately, in WWI the HDM had already published lists of the names inscribed on them, but even so...

At least these days all the GRO indexes are online with people like Ancestry and Findmypast, so we no longer have to go schlepping down to Alexandra House to heave those huge index books around!

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 June 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
thank you for all this, I do appreciate it.   in the 1970's, my gran was asked if she wanted an urn from her parents grave as they were removing it to make a rose garden and grass path.   the grave had been bought in perpetuity.   I have since looked for their grave and other names now appear in tis rose garden, but not my great grandparents . . . .

Offline Woollybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 June 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Footnote to the above, I checked the HDM 1950 to 1999 and couldn't find any such notice relating to Drypool and Southcoates Cemetery

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 June 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
The letters I have are dated late 1930's and into and after WW2 so Old Drypool Cemetery was being proposed for closure during 1930's.
b.
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 June 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
apologies, this was Hedon road, just adding to the way things were done at that time.

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 August 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused as I have a burial in 1847 at St Andrews Drypool, South Coates yet the church wasn't according to website consecrated until about 1867. Does that mean they were burid in unconsecrated grounds or would they go into the old cemetery on Hedon Road? Any help appreciated.