Author Topic: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK  (Read 14741 times)

Offline sploshkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Mr. Marshall for your info on John Woodroffe, Miller, who died 1775 at Bury St Edmunds.
He was the son of the Edward W  I have been trying to find the baptism of C1680. Nice try though, I do appreciate you trying to help. Are you interested in Woodroffes yourself?
                                  Best wishes.

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Its just that I have this will, and it was whilst researching the name I came onto this site, sad its of no help.
However I wish I could locate the windmill in Bury that the will states was left to his son John?

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 photos on the Spanton Jarman collection of Bury St Edmunds. Online at
www.burypastandpresent.org.uk/jarman-captions/all-images.shtm The relevant photos are about half way through the numerous photos not far after the Hardwick Manor , then Moreton Hall section.

I also have a postcard of West Mill House taken from Horringer Road, with the steam mill behind it taken after the demolition of the old mill. If you would like a copy let me know and I will send a private message with my email.
The reason I have these is because William Cockrill was a relative. (Not close but not in the twigs of my tree).
Spanton Jarman photo captions:-
West Mill at the top of Horringer Road was the last surviving working windmill in the town. Dating from 1719 it was in the Woodruffe family for many years. A disastrous fire in 1801 destroyed most of it but within a year it was rebuilt. In 1841 William Cockrill, the miller, employed 17 men and 8 boys. Thomas Catchpole ran the mill from 1881, the family being associated with the property for the next 50 years. The windmill was demolished in 1918 but Ernest Catchpole lived in the miller's house till 1935. (The Photo shows some of the Cockrill family in front of the miller's house).

The buildings shown are the two-gabled miller's house; the L-shaped steam mill dated 1846; and the post mill, which was demolished in 1918. The initials of William (Cockerell)  {incorrect spelling}  and the date 1846 are on the steam mill. The Catchpole family were the millers from c1880. (This photo shows the windmill).

Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that you want to locate the position of the mill. I had the same problem. West Mill House is/was a listed building off Horringer Road. I believe the site of the demolished windmill was at about No 17 Bristol Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk IP33 2EE
Listing of what remains of the houses and steam mill :-
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-466924-west-mill-bury-st-edmunds-suffolk#.VrMOmsvcvIU
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Me again. To see it on an old map

Try Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Type in the postcode IP33 2EE      1886 map    click enlarge view.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sploshkin, Hookleg and Bert,

With about 500 windmills in Suffolk to research I'm pulled every direction at once!  But after a long break I'm back looking a BStE and her mills.

I'm hoping you might be able to help...
Firstly, Sploshkin, you mentioned that you had a reference for the 1732 Will of Edward Woodroffe.  Would it be cheeky to ask you for it?
In your posting of 2014 you mentioned several millers relating to the 1618 & 1637 documents, are any of them related to the Woodroffe family?

Secondly, Bert, the 1775 Will you mention; was it from 1775 and what was the connection with 1759.  A really common and truly annoying habit of pasted generations was calling all your children John, William, Edward, etc, after yourself and yours father, etc.  Makes it really hard to follow mill ownership.  But we are know this problem!!! (Btw I think the wife you mentioned was Alice (in old-style writing the "c" can look like an "r" and an "e" like an "o".

I have located an interesting article in the "The Ipswich journal" (1801/10/24, p4,c4) dated relating to the burning down of a house of Mr. Woodroffe.  The house having been struck by a meteor,

"Monday evening, about 8 o'clock, the dwelling house of Mr. Woodroffe, miller, near Horringer mill, Bury, was set on fire by a meteor, and consumed, together with a stable adjoining."

Cheers,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Windy Miller (Great name by the way)

.The will originally was made in 1759, and I dare say when John died in 1775 was when it was witnessed?
I can let you know the names of the witnesses later if you like, only I don't have the paper with me at present.
I can let you see a scan of the will if you like.
Which house was it that got struck, was it the one that was later rebuilt and is pictured on stedmundsbury website next to the windmill?

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bert,

I'd love to see a scan! Should I send you a PM with my email address?

On the house fire front; I believe the mill was that at West Mill site (Horringer is also known as Horning Heath and is the area where West Mill is mapped).  The mill house that is standing at the site being built after the fire.

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Bert Marlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 16 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes send a pm and I will send scanned picture to you, I must just say that hookleg on this thread has been of the most amazing help to me on my quest to locate the site of the old windmill, much thanks to him and yourself for all the great updated information.