Author Topic: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK  (Read 14878 times)

Offline Thera

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 February 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All!
I am new here. To start, I am not a family member of the Woodruff family but am looking for clarification. I recently moved to Bury St Edmunds and am trying to find out more about the history of my house. I suspect that a post mill has been standing here alongside the house at one point. I came across the Woodruff family name as it is written next to a house and mill on an old Bury St Edmunds map. The map I attached is the Warren map of 1791 (midright zoom). This shows a mill to the right of 104, next to a house that has the name 'Woodrouffe' next to it. The other mill to the right is South Gate mill, and further to the right (not on the map) was another mill for South Gate brick works. Nowton Mill was further along again.
Is this the same family of millers? If so, is there any information on the house and mill? How old they are(I think prior to 1740?)? What did the original house look like?
If not, do you know where I can find out more? I have more maps and info but didn't want to put is all in my first post :)
Thanks in advance!
Thera

Offline Thera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woodruff / Woodroffe. Windmiller of Horringer Mill, Bury St Edmunds,SFK
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 February 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Its just that I have this will, and it was whilst researching the name I came onto this site, sad its of no help.
However I wish I could locate the windmill in Bury that the will states was left to his son John?

Bert
I have been told that this mill is the one on the 1791 map with the name Woodrouffe on it (just by Heath Lane). His son John took over the lease in 1776, I believe. If this is correct, then the remains of the mill are in my garden.
Thera

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 28 February 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thera
My wife I want to visit Bury perhaps sometime this summer, we hope to be able to see you.
Murray Woodroffe
* This is my family there in Bury.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Thera,

I know the map will, its in the stairwell at the records office.  All the properties are numbered and these numbers would have been linked to a book with the owners and tenants names along with the areas of each property.  Unfortunately I have never been able to locate the associated book or index.

Very frustrating!

The house is probably Woodroff's, but the book would prove it.  I suspect that there were multiple copies of both the map and book; so may be there are other copies still around?

Windy Miller
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Thera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Windy Miller

That's the map! Its a lot better in real life than looking at it online.
As I now live in Bury St Edmunds, I was planning to go back to the records office anyway to have a look at the tithe maps and a will from the 18th century. I will have a look to see if they have or know of any book that would hold the info of ownership. From what they explained last week, I might be able to find out more from some other documents they have in their strong room.

I'll let you know!
Thera

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thera,

You might want to ask them if the land in that part of BStE was linked to any Manors, in which case the Manorial Books are useful, but I would focus on those with indexes.  The Church may also have held some of these lands?

Good luck with your search, and, if you come across any mill data, I'd appreciate any references so I can search them out my self.

Cheers,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edward Woodroffe lived on a street called Short Brackland for some time and this is where our Charles Woodroffe and other siblings lived before Charles came to Canada on his own.

Offline Glenmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The John here below that took over is the one that witnessed the marriage  license for Thomas Woodroffe who married Jemima Wade  who we all know had a son outside wedlock and his name was Thomas.

Hello,

Its just that I have this will, and it was whilst researching the name I came onto this site, sad its of no help.
However I wish I could locate the windmill in Bury that the will states was left to his son John?

Bert
I have been told that this mill is the one on the 1791 map with the name Woodrouffe on it (just by Heath Lane). His son John took over the lease in 1776, I believe. If this is correct, then the remains of the mill are in my garden.
Thera

Offline Thera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Hi Bert
I hope you still visit this site. The mill (South Mill) you are looking for that went to John Woodroffe is at the back of where I live. Although the mill is gone you can still see where it stood due to the big round lump that is visible. There was a house alongside this mill called Sunny Hill which is I presume is where the Woodroffe family lived, rather than in Horringer? Is this house mentioned in the will at all? Just trying to get to the bottom of the house history, which is proving a challenge.
Thanks!
Thera