Author Topic: Redmond help. Marriage, Buckna Presbyterian, Racavan. 1864  (Read 4160 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Redmond help. Marriage, Buckna Presbyterian, Racavan. 1864
« on: Wednesday 09 April 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
I have just viewed a copy of the marriage certificate of Jemima Redmond (father, Christopher Redmond) and William McNeill (father, William McNeill) in order to find out more about Jemima’s Redmond family. I was hoping to find a Redmond witness.

Details from the certificate follow:

On 16 Nov 1864, Jemima Redmond married William McNeill. Both were “full age”, Jemima was a house servant living in Buckna and William a labourer living in Cairnalbana (sic). Jemima signed her name and William, his mark. Witnesses were David McNeill and John McClure or McClune.

Both fathers were farmers.
The witness, John McClure/ McClune, could be a connection of either the Redmond or McNeill side.

According to the 1901/11 census, Jemima would have been born 1845/46 in Co Antrim.  Searching for a record of Jemima’s baptism in Antrim has not yielded any results.  Jemima, William and family farmed in Munie North, Glenarm.

Jemima’s father, Christopher Redmond, may or may not be the older Christopher in the thread from KDrive titled:  Redmonds / Broughshane Family History - RootsChat . (Sorry but I don’t know how to add the link.) However, there was no mention of a Jemima in that thread. Maybe she fell out with her family or could there have been yet another Christopher Redmond in the district who fathered Jemima?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions to enable me to sort out the Christopher Redmonds and find Jemima’s Redmond family.

Regards
KiwiRose
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Redmond help. Marriage, Buckna Presbyterian, Racavan. 1864
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Kdrive's original post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=496626.0

I'll check my copy of Presbyterianism in Buckna for you tomorrow, to see if there is any mention of Jemima in the communicants lists.

A Christopher Redmond married a Hannah McMillan in Buckna in 1847, so worth considering, albeit if Jemima was FA at marriage, then her birth was more likely c1843.

A John McClure married in Buckna in 1857.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you scotsmum for posting the link.

Regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, nothing jumping out on Jemima.

Because of the surnames/locations/timescale, just adding the following from other notes I have:

A James Blair and Rose McClure married in Racavan district in 1860, before heading to Scotland. James' parents were possibly a James Blair and Nancy McNeill who lived in Carnalbanagh. Rose seems to link with McClures in Tamybuck townland. Her parents were Samuel McClure and Jane Arthur.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 April 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
or could there have been yet another Christopher Redmond in the district who fathered Jemima?
KiwiRose

None obvious at moment. The Christopher of the other thread died in 1858. Your Jemima married in 1864, and stated 'Farmer' as her father's occupation - I don't suppose it was bracketed with 'deceased' ?

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 April 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help and information, scotsmum.

On Jemima and William's marriage certificate neither of their fathers has ‘deceased’ written beside their names or occupation. Would it have been expected to put ‘deceased’ if the father had died?

I wonder if the Christopher Redmond (died 1858) who married Hannah McMillan on 5 June 1847 in Buckna was a widower as suggested in KDrive’s thread? Maybe when I have a little more evidence it might be worth using some of my credits to view his marriage certificate.

It could be that the witness, John McClure, was a McNeill connection due to Nancy (McNeill) Blair’s son James marrying a Rose McClure. Then again John McClure could just have been a good friend of the groom, William.

Does anyone know what the usual protocol for selecting witnesses would have been for Antrim Presbyterian weddings in the 1860’s?

Since first posting I have used Groni to search for any further Redmond marriages in Registration District, Ballymena, between the years 1845 to 1880. I couldn’t narrow it down to Buckna. There were 18 marriages.

Narrowing the marriage years closer to Jemima’s 1864 date to look for possible siblings from 1862 to 1869 there was  a James(62), Mary(63), Christopher(64), Jemima herself(64), Elizabeth(66), Samuel(66)and finally in 1869, Ellen.

Of the above Redmond marriages Samuel and Ellen have been eliminated as siblings. Familysearch is having technical difficulties at the moment so it is not possible to check out the fathers of the others. I am aware that Christopher, who married in 1864, also had a father Christopher but at this stage don’t know exactly where he married. He could possibly be a sibling of Jemima’s. 

Kind regards
KiwiRose

Ireland:
USA:

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
2017 Update on my Jemima’s father, Christopher Redmond.

I now have a copy of the marriage record of Christopher Redmond and Hannah McMillan on Jan 5 1847. Unfortunately it is rather faint.

Details from the copy are -
 Christopher Redmond, Hannah McMillan, marriage, 5 June, 1847. A Farmer. By licence.  Solemnized at Buckna, Parish of Rathcavan. Fathers:  John Redmond, farmer, Alexander McMillan , farmer.
Christopher is a widower? and Hannah is a spinster, both full age. Witnesses:  David Kelly and David Beggs. Bride is residing in Tanneybrack , Parish of Rathcavan. Groom is residing Townland of Aughafattan.

This information may help the Rootschatter,   KDrive on his Hannah Jane Hamill / Christopher Redmond family research.

I was hoping to attach a snippet of Christopher's faint details regarding his marital status however it would not happen.  I would have liked Rootschatters to confirm the faint word was widower. Maybe GRONI has doctored their purchased certificates so no part of the original image can be copied.

Regards,
KiwiRose
Ireland:
USA:

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
I was hoping to attach a snippet of Christopher's faint details regarding his marital status however it would not happen.  I would have liked Rootschatters to confirm the faint word was widower. Maybe GRONI has doctored their purchased certificates so no part of the original image can be copied.

No, they haven't 'doctored' their certificates.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
Bride is residing in Tanneybrack

Just to confirm, this is another known variant for Tamybuck townland (other spellings Tamn(e)ybrack or Tamneybrake).