Author Topic: Redmond help. Marriage, Buckna Presbyterian, Racavan. 1864  (Read 4163 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Redmond help. Marriage, Buckna Presbyterian, Racavan. 1864
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassan,

Whoops! You are correct, Hannah would have been born c1817.

I have corrected the glaring error in my Reply 16. Thank you for alerting me to the error.

Kind regards,

KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Continuing outside the box for a moment......it was not unusual for a widow/er to be found re-marrying within a year of their late spouse's death or to have been widowed more than once and re-married more than once. I have come across several such examples.

At the moment, the assumption seems to be that Hannah was Christopher Redmond's second wife, when, if indeed he was even the same Christopher listed by Jemima and Elizabeth, perhaps she was his third.

So,  if Jemima and Elizabeth were born pre Christopher's marriage to Hannah in1847, but post Christopher juniors c1830s birth, this allows for the possibility that Christopher snr may have been married in-between and for any potential second wife to have brought two daughters to the marriage (if such a second wife existed, she too may have been widowed).

The above is obviously just an attempt to show that you might consider other solutions/possibilities for your conundrum of Jemima and Elizabeth both stating their father was a Christopher/Christie Redmond (Elizabeth's marriage record has Christie rather than Christopher), yet neither of them being included in the will of the, at present, only potential candidate, the widower Christopher Redmond who married again in 1847, nor his wife of 1847's will either.

Of course, the Christopher/Christie named by Jemima and Elizabeth could have been an entirely different and as yet unaccounted for chap, or,  just as easily,  have been a 'red herring' made up father's first  and/or second name, and they both have been daughters of an unmarried Redmond or otherwise female, for example.

Re Cupples...I noticed that Samuel Cupples born 1866 has Samuel Redmond Cupples on his headstone and you also referred to him as such. His birth registration was only recorded as Samuel Cupples (albeit Redmond could have been included in any subsequent baptism).

Do you know if any of Jemima or Elizabeth's descendants have gone down the DNA route?

On a point of interest and for further consideration given use of Christie in Elizabeth's marriage record, Christopher jnr, when registering birth of  a daughter Barbara in 1867, gives his full name as Christopher albeit signs as Christy, perhaps his father used similar.

Potential red herrings but for additional consideration and checking, given the use of Barbara as forename for one of Christopher jnr's children, and mention previously that Christopher snr had links to property in Seapatrick, County Down, I wonder if there is any significance to a marriage in the Diocese of Armagh in 1829 of a Christopher Redmond to a Barbara Dick.  Or that in the same Diocese in 1832, a Jemima Redmond married.

In one visitation entry note in Presbyterianism in Buckna book for 1850, a family of Mr Redmond + wife +
children, the minister has 'Episcopalian' recorded beside them.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 March 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Scotsmum,

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas as to how I could further research my Redmond puzzle. I do appreciate your assistance.

At the moment, the assumption seems to be that Hannah was Christopher Redmond's second wife, when, if indeed he was even the same Christopher listed by Jemima and Elizabeth, perhaps she was his third.

So,  if Jemima and Elizabeth were born pre Christopher's marriage to Hannah in1847, but post Christopher juniors c1830s birth, this allows for the possibility that Christopher snr may have been married in-between and for any potential second wife to have brought two daughters to the marriage (if such a second wife existed, she too may have been widowed).

The idea that Christopher Snr had an in-between wife who maybe brought two daughters to the marriage seems to be a strong possibility now well worth investigating. Establishing more accurate dates of the birth/christening for Christopher Jnr, Elizabeth and Jemima could well be a breakthrough though I am doubtful records still exist or be found online. Presumably the names of both parents would be included on the record. I long ago learned that someone’s age in Census/ death records are variable and often best estimates!

In one visitation entry note in Presbyterianism in Buckna book for 1850, a family of Mr Redmond + wife + children, the minister has 'Episcopalian' recorded beside them.

I have little knowledge of what exactly an Episcopalian is other than presuming it is a person associated with a protestant branch of the Anglican church. Church of Ireland? (Thanks to a very, very quick google search.)

Do you know if any of Jemima or Elizabeth's descendants have gone down the DNA route?

I have no knowledge of any of Christopher Jnr, Elizabeth (Redmond) Cupples descendants going down the DNA route. I’m aware that one descendant of Jemima (Redmond) McNeill’s (6th generation) has had a DNA test but I need to find out more details. Working out DNA connections is a mystery for me. Not sure as to how useful the DNA would be with someone being seven generations away from Christopher Snr, presuming Christopher is Jemima’s birth father, or in eliminating him.

I’m going to be busy researching all the new Redmond possibilities.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.