Author Topic: Recommendation?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Recommendation?
« on: Friday 24 June 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Could anybody recommend a good restorer? I have a photo of my grandparents from around the time they married (1931) which is in very poor condition. I am quite happy to pay for restoration but don't know where to take/send it.
Thanks in advance
Ange ;D
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 05 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ange,
Did you want the photo scanned, and the scan restored, or did you want the actual photo conserved?
If the latter, there is a link at the top of this board for Conservation and Care of Original Photos where you will find some URLs for conservation organisations that can help you.
Cheers
Prue

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,
I hadn't though of having the photo conserved as it is in very bad condition, including being held together with tape!
It probably would be best to have it scanned and the scan restored, I don't have a scanner so I can't show you how bad it actually is.
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ange,
I can't help you with the digital restoration (there are others here MUCH better than me at that particular game) but it may be worth getting a conservator to look at your photo once you have scanned it, they will be able to remove the tape and mend your photo - you would be amazed at what can be done!  I am a photo conservator myself, and I have been amazed at some of the results I've managed to get.  Most photos respond very well to treatment.
Good luck with the scanning!  If you can get a digital image, people on this site will fix it up in no time!
Prue

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi ange,
  This is a link to RetouchPRO, Their are quite a few professional Restorers links at this web page. http://www.retouchpro.com/links/index.php?sid=898460335&t=sub_pages&cat=2

You may want to register on the forum and see if there is a restorer close to you so you can consult by phone.

I'd love to see some of the before and afters of the conservators handy work. I must admit I had never thought that repairing the original photo was an option. This sounds like a fascinating occupation. I  missed the boat on that one. Ahh, such is life.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)