Author Topic: George Hickman  (Read 2742 times)

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George Hickman
« on: Monday 14 April 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thought I would start a new topic as my original one for the Hickmans is quite big.

I am looking for George Hickman born c 1849 Wolverhampton.
Father Charles Mother Mary.

He is on the 1851  HO107; Piece: 2018; Folio: 129; Page: 18;
He is on the 1861 Class: RG 9; Piece: 1991; Folio: 124; Page: 22;

I cannot find him on the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 or the other one.

I have found a few marriages and one which stands out is Sarah Ann Leather 1870,(BMD)
There is a Sarah Ann with George Hickman on the 1871, 1881 and 1891, BUT
he is down as being born in Birmingham, (as that was where he was living at the time of the census's,) and his occ: Brass Worker

From then on I cannot trace him or her, or even a death.

Any help will be appreciated as usual:)
Regards
Gillianr

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: George Hickman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
There is a George Hickman b c1850 Wolverhampton married to an Alice in London

1881 RG11/5214/95/30
1891 RG12/423/1093/37

Are you sure you are tracing the right one?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

He may have died or emigrated, there are a couple  that could be him, one is an officer in the Fusiliers one is a Music Teacher, so I don't think that either of are him, I would not discount the one born in Birmingham, I have seen this time and time again, as soon has children leave home, there birth place changes

You will need to check on the earlier census, to see if the one in Birmingham, is accounted for

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Margp

There is a George Hickman born 1849 in Birmingham, but HIS parents are Thomas and Maria
and my George's parents are Charles and Mary.

Thanks for your input though.

I do feel that because he was living in Birmingham, that he supposed thats where he was born,
or the enumerator took it that way.

Thanks for your input,
Regards
gillianr

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 April 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow

No, I am not sure that I am tracing the correct George, but I will check out those two census returns which you sent to me.

Regards
Gillianr

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 April 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow

I have looked at the two census returns you sent to me, and I am sure it is not the one I want,
owing to his occupation.

I am more inclined to go for the one, now, in Birmingham, as I do know that the Hickmans
coming nearer to present generation, were born in Birmingham.

I think I will go with the 1871, 1881, and 1891 I have already found with Sarah Ann as his wife,
but still need to find his death, seeing as I cannot find him in 1901.
This I feel is Sarah's death:Deaths Mar 1891   (>99%)
Hickman    Sarah Ann    50    Birmingham    6d   104

Thanks for your help.
Regards
Gillianr

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow

I think you may be right, that I am chasing the wrong George Hickman, because I found the marriage certificate for him being married to Sarah Ann Leather, in 1870, and George's father's
name does not look like 'Charles', which I need it to be. The writing is awful to say the least,
but I have been a bit cheeky and contacted the Geneology person at Bham Reg Office, and have asked if he can take a look at it, and say 'yes' or 'no' to the question: Is George's father's name
'Charles'?

I have a feeling it looks more like 'James', but I will have to wait and see, and if it, try again.:(

Regards
Gillianr

Offline gillianR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 April 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow

Well, I did not find out what I wanted from the Bham Reg Office, so I still don't know the name of
George Hickman's father on the marriage certificate:(
Ah well, I tried.
Regards
Gillianr

PS
I have a new look up required if it is possible.
Edward Hickman born.c. 1853 (this is brother to George).
Edward is on the 1861, RG 9; Piece: 1991; Folio: 124; Page: 22;
 1871RG10; Piece: 2936; Folio: 116; Page: 12
 1881.RG11; Piece: 2793; Folio: 93; Page: 21;and 1891  RG12; Piece: 507; Folio: 101; Page: 1;

On the 1881 and 1891 he is with a wife Beatrice, and this is what I need help with - please:
I cannot find the marriage between Edward and Beatrice but on the 1891 he has himself down as Edwin. I have search both of those names.

Thanking you in anticipation:)
Regards
Gillianr

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 April 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
On ancestry they have the marriage of an Edward Hickman 1877 Wolverhampton to a Bridget Gough they also have the death of a Bridget Hickman 1898 Greenwich

If Edward/Edwin moved to London then the other George I mentioned may be a possibility

Im just checking to see if I can find the 1877 marriage on the W-ton archive site

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /