Author Topic: RootsChat headings and text size  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RootsChat headings and text size
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 01:04 BST (UK) »
In the past day or two I have noticed an increase in the size of headings such as in the panel HOME FORUM HELP SEARCH etc; and on the 'Home' page, the spiel saying "this is rootschat with over x amount of postings ..."; and also the size of ads at the top of the page.

They are now HUGE!

The body text does not seem to have increased.

I am using an ipad mini.

I've looked at my font sizes but they are the same on all my usual sites, so I don't think it is related to font size settings on my ipad.

Is this something I can adjust my end? Or is it something that has been adjusted on rootschat's end?

Text is really too large and necessitates lots of scrolling. Any fixes or solutions greatfully received. Thanks.  ;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *RootsChat headings and text size*
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 01:36 BST (UK) »
Ok ignore that please. All heading sizes are now miraculously back to how they used to be. I changed no settings on my ipad.  ;D Very mysterious.

But if anyone can enlighten me as to how this happened I would be interested to know.  ;D

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
I get something like that on my PC occasionally!

I think that when the HTML code is being downloaded, something happens, and the code isn't downloaded cleanly?

Certainly with me, because I access the internet through a 3G dongle, it seems to happen when I am having trouble with connections.

Anyway; that's my theory!! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. That's as good a theory as anything.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one, and if it happens again I know to just put up with it for a day or so till it sorts itself out.  :)

It has been working fine for me since just after I started this thread, so I'm still happy.  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
On my laptop I frequently get strange fonts, sort of printed over each other.
It usually resolves within seconds, or if I go out of that particular topic and into another post.

Strange ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat headings and text size
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Very occasionally as any webpage loads, it can get displayed (rendered) incorrectly as it loads - fonts especially. This can especially happen when internet and mobile providers apply a level of compression on the downloaded images and fonts too. This normally works well, but is generally more noticeable if your 'tether' a mobile (cellphone) device to laptop.

The internet provider or the device / browser loading the page can then remember (cache) these incorrect font settings so it could continue to look a bit strange until next time it checks to see if these bits are updated or not.

Trystan
RootsChat Support
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
Very occasionally as any webpage loads, it can get displayed (rendered) incorrectly as it loads - fonts especially. This can especially happen when internet and mobile providers apply a level of compression on the downloaded images and fonts too. This normally works well, but is generally more noticeable if your 'tether' a mobile (cellphone) device to laptop.

The internet provider or the device / browser loading the page can then remember (cache) these incorrect font settings so it could continue to look a bit strange until next time it checks to see if these bits are updated or not.

Trystan
RootsChat Support

That's what I said!  Well, kind of!! ;D ;D

Thanks, Trystan.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the official explanation Trystan.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, it sometimes happens to me when I am using my e-reader's wifi to google or RChat or otherwise explore from the armchair for protracted periods (hours !).    If I close down and restart, then it is fixed, back to what it should be. It can get rather annoying if I am typing a reply to an RChat thread and it wants to take its time in accepting my two finger typing.     It seems to need to be re-started if I have been reading RChat for more than an hour.   On the other hand, if I am reading the online current local newspapers (eg Newcastle Herald ..... as in Newcastle NSW, not UK) it will mess about with the text, the images, etc within ten minutes or so.   

And as an aside, my e-reader cannot spell.  It is nought to do with two finger typing, surely it is not.  :)  :)  :)  my fingers hitting wrong keys.... ::)  ::)  ::) 

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.