Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18395 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« on: Wednesday 16 April 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Has anyone researched the ownership of Bovagh? I see that for a time it was owned (or rented?) by the gentry Jones family. Theobald Jones was MP for county Londonderry in the 1830s; they descended from a marriage between Theophilus Jones and a Beresford woman, so perhaps it came as inheritance or dowry from the Beresford estate? Interestingly they also had distant links to the family of Theobald Wolfe Tone. There are quite a few references to them in Google Books.
Theobald Jones had been in the navy, which I find possibly significant. My ancestor Robert Brown(e) seems to have had some connection with Bovagh; caretaker? tenant of part of the land? and he is said to have been in the militia. I am fairly sure that Robert Brown's brother had been in the navy and retired to a farm in Boveedy; at least, I have no proof that they were brothers but I would like to prove it!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Beresford family became substantial land owners I the northern half of Co. Londonderry. They became the Earls of Tyrone and eventually the Marquis of Waterford. They held the lands in Londonderry from about 1650 to 1900.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
LindeL- I am also a descendant of Robert Brown of Bovagh through his daughter Martha Brown who married Thomas Hogg. Have you any information you can share with me, I did find his marriage to Jane Henery but that's about all I have other than their burial place. This is a recent discovery for me as I just stumbled upon my 3rd great grandparents marriage announcement in Belfast Newsletter.

Cheryl

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Robert Brown of Bovagh had at least eight daughters. What sort of information are you looking for?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Any information on the family at all, the names of those other daughters, Robert's parents if known. Basically any information I can get on this Brown family at all. This is a very recent discovery for me and the first time I am actually able to trace any of my family members to where they were born in Ireland.
Pretty much before this I only had their immigration records to the US on the ship "Speed" in 1848. Ive been able to find Robert Brown and Jane Henery's marriage and their burial plce but thats about all I have. I have no experience researching in Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Need a little bit of time to do some typing  ;)

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Sweet! They've been lost to me this long...take your time LOL I'm extremely grateful for anything you can tell me :D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Here's a start-

Robert Brown (c1784-2 Feb.1867 Bovagh), Bovagh House, m. Jane (c1785-16 Dec.1867).
   Robert Brown was caretaker in Bovagh Castle for the Beresfords until Hezlets came. In 1832 Robert Brown leased another farm in Bovagh and in 1871 when the Marquis of Waterford’s estate was for sale it was still held by the representative of Robert Brown, although the lease had expired in Jan.1871.
   1831 census- Bovagh: Robert Brown 1 male, 8 females, 1 male servant (9 Presbyterian, 1 R.C.)
   1836 Valuation- Bovagh: Robert Brown house £2.16.0
   Coleraine Chronicle, 9 Feb.1867: DEATH- At Bovagh, on the 2nd inst., Mr. Robert Brown, aged 83 years.
1. Jane Brown, 2nd dau., m.(Dec.1832) Malcolm McQuigg, Agivey.
        Belfast Newsletter, 7 Dec.1832: MARRIED- On Friday last by the Rev. James Brown, Garva, Mr. Malcolm M’Quigg, of Agivey, Linen Manufacturer, to Jane, second daughter of Robert Brown, Esq., Bovagh Castle, county Londonderry.
2. Martha Brown, 3rd dau., m.(14 Sept.1832) Thomas Hogg, Caheny.
3. Nancy Brown m.(12 Jan.1844 Moneydig Presbyterian Church) David Torrens.
        Belfast Newsletter, 23 Jan.1844: MARRIED- On the 12th inst. by the Rev. P.R. , Moneydig, Mr. David Torrance, son of Mr. James Torrance, Coolnaman, to Nancy daughter of Mr. Robert Brown, Bovagh.
4. Rachel Brown, 8th dau., m.(24 Apr.1843 Bovagh Castle) Hugh Torrens.
        Belfast Newsletter, 5 May 1843: MARRIED- On the 24th ult., at the residence of the bride’s father, by the Rev. P.R. Killough, Presbyterian Minister, Moneydig, Mr. Hugh Torrance, of Mayoghill, to Rachel, eighth daughter of Mr. Robert Brown, Bovagh.
5. Elizabeth Brown (c1818-18 Feb.1865) m.(29 Mar.1848 Moneydig Presbyterian Church) John Kennedy, Caheny.
?6. Sarah Ann Brown m.(1840) Torrens Alexander, Mayoughill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Robert Brown late of Bovagh County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 2 February 1868 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of John Kennedy of Bovagh (Moneydig Garvagh) Farmer the Executor.
If you click on 'image' the will has not been copied out as was usually the case but a John Quigg apparently lodged the Will for safekeeping. Granted 25 Nov.1876.
www.proni.gov.uk