Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18315 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
 Re locating Robert Brown. First of all Moneydig is one townland of many in the area with Browns living in it. The Presbyterian church called Moneydig was a new foundation in 1835 so families who ended up attending Moneydig would have been listed in other congregations before then. After 1835 Browns who lived in the townland of Moneydig might or might not have attended Moneydig church, there were other options for them. Robert Brown is in Bovagh and attending Moneydig church at the end of his life but may not have been born there. So looking just at Moneydig may be a bit of a red herring.
I have been trying to link "my", (now  "our" )Robert Brown into a family of Browns who started out in Trinaltinagh and attending First Garvagh. This was the family that produced Dr John Brown of Aghadowey and also other prominent ministers, doctors and later even a notable artist. The Garvagh visitation (incidentally carried out by many times great uncle James Brown, who is my relative on the paternal, co. Antrim side!) shows Samuel and Elizabeth in Trinaltinagh. John Brown is known to have been in this family and is there in 1796. I am trying to post this without access to emails, since I can't open email without losing this post! So I can't quite recollect the details here; John Brown says he was fifth or sixth son of this family but if he was, there is a missing name in the 1796 list. There is room in the listing for a son to be away from home. My /our Robert would have been the age to have been away as a naval ship's boy or a young soldier. Other Trinaltinagh Browns have military careers in the Londonderry Militia; I have found them listed as quartermaster and such in the early 1800s. If Robert had had a military career of whatever sort, he would have been a very likely candidate to be appointed a caretaker by a gentry family when he retired. A farmer who had been farming on his own farm all his life might not have been keen to move to a caretaking role, and if for example a lifelong farmer had failed in farming he would not have been appointed. SO I think Robert for whatever reason floated back into Aghadowey area and MAY have been known to gentry who would have been involved in military careers/ militia, or could have taken a recommendation from an army officer after the wholesale disbandments after the Napoleonic wars

Finally I have a note somewhere about a document in PRONI that shows Robert Brown standing surety for a bond of #150 in a transaction between Thomas Hogg of Caheny and Robert Hezlett the landowner of Bovagh, in the 1830s, when that was a lot of money

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 October 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to look at that one since this Thomas Hogg mentioned  would probably be my 3rd gr grandfather who married Robert's daughter Martha. I know I've found records of another Thomas Hogg also in Caheny so not sure and my Thomas Hogg/Hoag's death certificate in NYC lists his parents as Thomas Hoag/ Mary, but unsure if this 4th gr grandfather Thomas lived in Caheny at all. I have nothing yet except his name and his wife Mary (no maiden listed) on my 3rd gr grandfathers death cert.

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 October 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am another distant relative, great granddaughter +++ Robert Brown and Jane Henery.  My Relative was Sarah Hoag (my great grandmother) who was daughter of Martha brown Hogg and Thomas Hogg.  Jersey ties and I have been communicating for over a year now.  We are distant cousins!

I noted in your last post that Robert Brown stood surety for $150 for Thomas Hogg of Caheny with Robert Hezlett landowner of Borough in the 1830s.  Thomas Hogg married Roberts 3rd daughter Martha my great great grandmother.  My relative Thomas Hogg was from Caheny per the marriage announcement.  We know they emigrated to New York in 1848. Maybe this $150 was for land to farm?  Do we know any more information on Thomas Hogg or his family?  This is very exciting!

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 November 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
LindeL Hi I have just joined this chat page today and despite our e-mails exchanges, I should add that my ggggrandfather, Lieutenant William Brown of the Londonderry Militia married Elizabeth Bennett of County Limerick in 1809. He lived at Trinaltinagh Garvagh.  I read somewhere recently that the Militias usually were sent at 100 miles from their home areas, primarily to guard the coastal areas to let regular forces fight overseas. This would explain my William marrying a County Limerick lady!!  A recent e-mail from a " cousin" in Garvagh also explained the need to deal with the Emmet Rebellion of 1803, primarily in Dublin but also Leinster regards T

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello: I ran across these postings and so have joined this group. I descend from the Brown family of Moneydig, one of which was Robert Brown of Bovagh. I am seeing any information about this family.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Erawan good to find another relative. What way are you connected? Are you definitely related to Robert Brown of Bovagh; there are also Browns in Moneydig td I think. Who may well be related, we don't know.     Just to recap; my Robert Brown was of the td of Bovagh in the 1830s, he died in the 1860s. He had a number of daughters, no sons as far as I know. His 8 or so daughters married locally but some emigrated. Mrs McQuigg and Mrs Hogg are known to have emigrated. My ancestor was Robert Brown's daughter Nancy who married David Torrens of the Carragh, in Culnaman td. She is my gt gt grandmother. Other local families already connected various ways through Torrenses and so on are further connected through the Browns. Aghadowey and others have posted a lot of interesting info.

Brown/ Browne is all too common, but I would like to be able to link my Bovagh family into a family from Trinaltinagh, who produced the famous Dr John Brown of Aghadowey and other notables. No proof, just guessing, based on an apparent overlap, in that they and my Robert seem to have shared miiltary type careers

Linde

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi from Irish Lynn,

My relative through Robert Brown was Martha Brown Hogg.  She married Thomas Hogg off Caheny.  Their daughter was Sarah Hogg who was born in New York.

She was my Great Great Grand daughter.  Will continue soon. 

Sarah married Thomas Boyd Heaney in New York City. 

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies to my initial message. I am in America, and descend from Samuel Brown (1772-1834) who was married to Letitia Canning (1783-1879). Samuel Brown was the elder brother of Robert Brown (1784-1867). Samuel Brown was my third great-grandfather. I am trying to establish who the parents of Samuel and Robert Brown were. In the enumeration ("visitation") of 1796 for the First Garvagh Presbyterian Church (Household #48) there is listed an Alexander Brown (with Martha brown probably being his wife) and then numerous children, including Samuel and Robert. These families all lived in and around the Townland of Moneydig. I DO know that Robert Brown, brother of Samuel Brown, was the caretaker for the Marquis of Waterford at Bovagh House. At times, these families used the spelling of the surname as "Brown" and at others, "Browne". This adds a bit of confusion, as well as the fact that the surname "Brown(e)" was very prolific in that part of Northern Ireland! Any and all information would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Again.  I am in the USA too.  We must be distant cousins!  If Samuel and Robert were brothers and the sons of Alexander and Martha that would make sense.  Roberts wife was Jane Henery who was from Garvaugh.  These areas were all very close to each other.  Robert Brown, my Great Great plus grandfather only had daughters.  His 3rd daughter was Martha Broown (probably named after her mother).  I do know he was the caretaker for the Bovaugh Castle. 

Martha Brown Hogg immigrated in 1848 with husband Thoomas Hogg and about 8 children to New York City.  They had another 4 children in New York, one of which was my Great Grandmother, Sarag Hogg Heaney. 

I think, but am not sure Robert and Samuel's father was Alexannder.  I will check out my tree when I get home and see if I have More on their parents.  Talk Soon!