Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18414 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 June 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if we are all on the same page with these Browns. There are several families all in the same area all with the same names and all at the same time. They are probably related but who knows how. My ancestor Robert Brown of Bovagh died 1867 definitely had a number of daughters. He was definitely caretaker of Bovagh castle. The fact that he was a caretaker (ie living there, maintaining it, probably keeping the farm going)  suggests to me  that he had not been a farmer all his life, and also suggests that he may have been known to the gentry families who owned Bovagh. Hence I think it likely that he was indeed a former member of the militia. His wife was Jane Henry or Henery.

However, whether he is the same as a Robert Brown who was in Moneydig in the Garvagh congregational census, son of Alexander and Martha, and brother of Samuel, is not proven; he may have been, but I would advise not assuming that Samuel and Robert are brothers, or that Robert fits into the Alexander and Martha family. Too big a jump I think.

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 June 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
In 1961, a first cousin of my grandmother - one Genevieve Brown - made an extensive visit to Northern Ireland. Her intention was to investigate the "family history" and to contact living relatives there, etc. This she did. Later on, in March of 1977, she (Genevieve) was in touch with a Mrs. Mary Torrens Johnston (then age 92). She (Mary) was the granddaughter of Mary Brown Torrens, who in turn was the daughter of one Robert Brown. This Robert Brown was the younger brother of one Samuel Brown - the father of Hugh Brown. In the 1977 correspondence, it seems the daughter-in-law of Mrs. Torrens was putting together a "family tree" going back as far as the parents of Robert and Samuel Brown. I would also mention that all of the family of Samuel Brown were educated and literate persons - uncommon for the time - and many were teachers and clergymen.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 June 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again, your background story is very interesting! Mary Torrens Johnston was my great aunt Mary Ann, and she was indeed the granddaughter of a daughter of Robert Brown; Nancy Brown married David Torrens. I just wish recording technology had been available more readily, when people from that generation were still here to be interviewed. aunt Mary Ann was a remarkable person, and I would love to hear her voice again.

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 June 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Often I find the world smaller than we might at first imagine! Looking into the "Brown's" (as you previously mentioned - is a challenge, since there are so many of them! Different families, living in close proximity - and using similar given names. Have you any idea who the "daughter-in-law" was that was putting together the "family tree"? I also had understood that some of the relations of Robert Brown had immigrated to America (which is discussed in some other "posts" here.) Since in most all "listings" if families, the head-of- household is listed first, then his spouse; then children in descending order by age, from the 1796 "visitation list" Samuel is listed as the eldest - which is true according to family tradition. Also his birthdate is known - 1772 - , and Robert is #6 - his birthdate being 1784. This fits very well. And Mrs. Johnston was very certain that her great-grandfather and my Cousin Genevieve Brown's great-grandfather were brothers. One difficulty, of course, is the absence of any church records going back that far which would list (for example) the baptism of either Samuel or Robert, that would include the names of their parents. The only extant document of which I am aware, is the 1796 "visitation list" for the congregation of the original First Garvagh Presbyterian Church - to which the family of Alexander Brown belonged. Another hindrance is the fact that there are no "early" burial stones for any of these persons. Most of their deaths would have occurred prior to the building of the present church. I will look for additional correspondence to see if anything else appears.

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 June 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
4 of Robert Brown/ Jane Henery's daughters married and left Ireland for America.

Jane Brown, who married Malcom McQuiig/McQuaig....(Belfast Newsletter, 7 Dec.1832: MARRIED- On Friday last by the Rev. James Brown, Garva, Mr. Malcolm M’Quigg, of Agivey, Linen Manufacturer, to Jane, second daughter of Robert Brown, Esq., Bovagh Castle, county Londonderry.) BIRTH 29 APRIL 1811 • Londonderry, Northern Ireland DEATH 27 AUGUST 1892 • Canada It is Mc Quaig on her tombstone.

Martha Brown  my 3rd great-grandmother, married Thomas Hogg/Hoag  3rd daughter of Robert according to her marriage announcement
BIRTH ABT 1813 • Bovagh Castle, Londonderry,Ireland
DEATH FEBRUARY 14, 1865 • New York City, New York, USA

Margaret "Peggy" Brown
1816–1904
BIRTH 1816 • Londonderry,Ireland
DEATH 1904 • Cattaraugus County New York, USA married an Alexander Hoag (unknown if he is related to my ancestor Thomas Hoag)

Rachel Brown
1823–1906
BIRTH 17 OCTOBER 1823 • Londonderry, Northern Ireland
DEATH 5 MAR 1906 • Cattaraugus County, New York, USA  married Hugh Torrance

Belfast Newsletter, 5 May 1843: MARRIED- On the 24th ult., at the residence of the bride’s father, by the Rev. P.R. Killough, Presbyterian Minister, Moneydig, Mr. Hugh Torrance, of Mayoghill, to Rachel, eighth daughter of Mr. Robert Brown, Bovagh.

There are several of us descendants of Thomas Hoag/ Martha Brown who have our DNA results on Ancestry...not sure if this test is available in Ireland.

Offline erawan30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 July 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you.."Jerseyties", as that information is helpful. Perhaps we can look into the other children of Robert and Jane. I believe Robert was born in 1784 and died in 1867. The person I had mentioned in my previous post was Mrs. Mary Torrens Johnston,  would have been a Great-Granddaughter of Robert Brown through his (Robert's) daughter Nancy. What would be extremely helpful is if we could find a clear record of Robert Brown, his siblings, and his parents.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 July 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
I visited Mary Ann (Torrens) Johnston's daughter-in-law when she lived in Cullycapple but can't remember that Brown family being discussed. However, perhaps this will help-

1831 census- Caheny- Thomas Hogg (5 males, 2 females)
PRONI- copy of Will of Thomas Hogg dated 28 July 1834 in which the beneficiaries are his wife Molly, sons Thomas, Alexander & John, and daughters Jane & Mary.
Thomas Hogg married 14 Sept.1832 Martha Brown

Alexander Hogg*, a stonemason, married 1836 Margaret Brown
Eldest two sons Samuel & Robert served in the Civil War. In the book "Brothers One and All", Samuel Hogg is named as one of eleven soldiers deserving special mention as extraordinary survivors out of the thousand plus men who served in the 154th New York. According to the Roster of the 154th New York, Samuel Hogg was born 18 Dec.1839 Moneydig.

In N.Y. State, Alexander Hogg* lived next door to Hugh & Rachel (Brown) Torrance.

In Nov.1898 a local paper (have the details elsewhere) reported that Samuel Hoag (son of Margaret Brown) had gone to see his uncle Hugh Torrance who was seriously ill (he died 22 Nov.1898). Hugh Torrance was married to Rachel Brown- she died 5 Mar.1906 aged 82 years.

Have much more on the Brown family both here and in America, including four more daughters of Robert Brown.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 July 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Exciting news . I did not know of the upstate New York relatives to Martha Brown Hogg and Thomas Hogg.  They had settled in. New York City. These were obviously the sisters to Martha Brown and their families. 

One of Martha Hoggs daughters was named Rachel (after Martha's sister).  I do note many of the names are carried over into the next generation. 

Since I have been concentrating on the Heaneys, I had stopped looking into the Browns and Hoggs!  Thanks again Aghadewey! 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 July 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
Just a brief outline-

Robert Brown (c1874-2 Feb.1867), Bovagh, m. Jane Henery? (c1785-16 Dec.1867). 8 daughters (not in exact order)-
1. Mary Brown m.(1826) Thomas Hazlett, Moneydig
2. Jane Brown, 2nd daughter (29 Apr.1811-27 Aug.1892) m.(Dec.1832) Malcolm McQuigg, Agivey
3. Martha Brown, 3rd daughter, (c1813-1865) m.(14 Sept.1832) Thomas Hogg, Caheny (prents Thomas & Mary)
4. Margaret "Peggy" Brown (4 Oct.1816-6 Nov.1904) m.(1836) Alexander Hogg, Caheny
5. Sarah Ann "Sally" Brown (c1818-17 Apr.1880) m.(1840) Torrens Alexander, Mayoughill
6. Nancy/Agnes Brown m.(12 Jan.1844) David Torrens
7. Elizabeth Brown (c1818-18 Feb.1865) m.(29 Mar.1848) John Kennedy, Caheny
8. Rachel Brown, 8th daughter, (17 Oct.1823-5 Mar.1906) m.(24 Apr.1843) Hugh Torrens
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!