Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18413 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haslett/ Hazlett; Jack Gee
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 30 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack this is more for you! than for us Brown descendants. Your townland name rang a bell. The late notable NI civil servant and genealogist John Oliver's family of Olivers were linked to Derrybeg. John Oliver did a lot of work on his ancestry and related families. I don't know where his notes etc might be but he did publish a few articles. Also his distant relative (also Oliver) is somewhat interested and I have or had a contact address for him.
I suppose possibly your Hasletts are related to the radical and interesting Haslett/ Hazlett/ Hazlitts? Of Drumneecy maybe, or Clooney?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 30 August 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Mary married Thomas Hazlett (9 June 1803-14 March 1896)
Thomas Hazlett died 9 Dec.1889- https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06155/4758568.pdf
It was Mary who died 14 Mar.1896-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05910/4677457.pdf

He married Catherine Torrens and they had one son named Samuel, but later he married Nancey (Knox, maybe?) around 1875.
Samuel married (29 July 1875 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church) Nancy Knox (d.13 Aug.1921), dau. of Adam Knox & Anne Gilmore.

Samuel Hazlett m.(1869) Catharine Torrens (died 1871, age 23)
1. Thomas Hazlett (15 Dec.1869)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03377/2237811.pdf
2. Catherine Mary Hazlett (7 Feb.1871)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03314/2214638.pdf
There was a son Samuel from the 2nd marriage
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 31 August 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello LindeL,
i am interested in a number of your thread comments.

It is said that the Hasletts of Upper and Lower Drumnecy are related and also to the Bovevagh Hasletts.

Trying to expand on my Shannon Haslett connection - Maria [1783-1865] may have a brother Matthew [1780-?] and  sister Jane [1787-1869].m.1824.John O'KANE.b.1781.d.1865.
I lot of this is speculation.

Oliver - Please PM for any contact details of an Oliver researcher.
I have a copy of an extensive Oliver tree that connects this family to others of the local area.
I am aware of John Oliver's research and have some of his material on tracking Planters ancestry back to Scotland. But i would like more information.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 22 March 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
This is particularly addressed to Jerseyties; I'm apologising for not getting back to you about our DNA link to Brownes. I remembered your email address from this thread, but not the name that you are listed in the DNA company, and I can't find you. Maybe send me a message outside of this list

Offline kturipa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
hello everyone from new zealand
i am too a descendant of thomas hazlett and mary brown through their 5th son william killough hazlett who married sarah reed and then some of  the family moved came to new zealand - thomas and mary with 3 sons william, robert and robert and a daughter elizabeth - i do have quite a bit of information on these lines but do have lots of gaps
please feel free to message me

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 08:23 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat, so you will have to remove your email address to avoid spamming etc.

Just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for it to be removed, if you can't remove it yourself within the 24-hour editing period.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
i am too a descendant of thomas hazlett and mary brown through their 5th son william killough hazlett who married sarah reed and then some of  the family moved came to new zealand - thomas and mary with 3 sons william, robert and robert and a daughter elizabeth - i do have quite a bit of information on these lines but do have lots of gaps

I have extensive family notes on Hazletts both here in Ireland and those that settled in New Zealand. Is there something in particular you are missing/looking for?

Offline kturipa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
oh gosh um where to start :)
do you know what year robert, william, thomas and elizabeth   came out to new zealand and on which boat/ship
would you have any photos of my greatx3 grand father william killough hazlett
i am looking for information about all the children that didnt come out to new zealand -
so you have any information on Mary ann Hazlett she may of married a McFetrich and may of  stayed in Ireland
Nancy born 1843, sarah b 1848, matilda hazlet died at 23 so i am presuming no spouse or children for her
Margaret b 1852
samuel b 1846 from reading on here married nancey knox
did they have  second daughter they called jane b 1855 and died auckland nz 1931

i can help with others fill in the gaps of the siblings that came to nz - although i am still gathering the info slowly

i look forward to hearing from you :)
greeting from nz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
do you know what year thomas and mary  came out to new zealand and on which boat/ship
Do you mean this Thomas & Mary?
Thomas Hazlett (9 June 1803-9 Dec.1888) m.(26 Mar.1826) Mary Brown (1809-15 Mar.1896).
They died in Ireland. Thomas died Mulberry Cottage, Moneydig- https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06155/4758568.pdf
Mary died Moneydig as well-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05910/4677457.pdf

would you have any photos of my greatx3 grand father william killough hazlett No.

i am looking for information about all the children that didnt come out to new zealand -
so you have any information on Mary ann Hazlett she may of married a McFetrich and may of  stayed in Ireland

No, Nancy Hazlett (18 Nov.1843-22 Jan.1924) m.(31 Oct.1867 Moneydig Presbyterian Church) John McFetridge, Movenis. There was a daughter Mary Brown Hazlett (m. Hugh Brown) but no Mary Ann.
Nancy born 1843, sarah b 1848, matilda hazlet died at 23 so i am presuming no spouse or children for her
Nancy- see above. Sarah Hazlett (3 Feb.1848-3 Sept.1862 Moneydig), unmarried. Matilda Hazlett (8 Feb.1835-5 Dec.1858), unmarried.
Margaret b 1852
Margaret Hazlett (9 June 1852-5 Sept.1934) m.(1883) Joseph Bamford.
samuel b 1846 from reading on here married nancey knox
Samuel Hazlett (1 Feb.1846-26 July 1921) m.(29 July 1875 1st Garvagh Presbyterian Church) Nancy Knox
did they have  second daughter they called jane b 1855 and died auckland nz 1931
Jane Hazlett born 29 Sept.1855, daughter of Thomas Hazlett & Mary Brown. According to my notes she was the 13th, and youngest, child.
She was named after the eldest daughter who died shortly before she was born-
Jane Hazlett (15 Oct.1828-13 Aug.1854) m.(5 Oct.1847) James Gilmore (10 Feb.1828-1917).