Author Topic: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century  (Read 18397 times)

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones in Bovagh House/ castle, mid 19th century
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much!!

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Martha Brown Hogg had 8 daughters of her own as well as 3 sons. It appears that she named them all after her sisters

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
What were the names of all her daughters? (might help me find all the Brown girls in local records)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Nancy Hoag
1835 –

Jane Brown Hoag
1837 – 1921

Thomas Hoag
1838 – 1923

Mary Hoag
1838 – 1908

I checked out his will and it also names a daughter Peggy so maybe Margaret and a daughter Marey?  And I should have mentioned at some point the family name of Hogg became Hoag. Most of their children were born in Ireland, Rachel was born at sea on the journey to the U.S., those after her were born in NYC

David T. Hoag
1841 – 1891

Robert Brown Hoag
1844 – 1905

Elizabeth Hoag
1845 – 1881

Rachel Hoag
1848 – 1881

Matilda Hoag
1853 – 1894

Sarah Hoag
1855 – 1910

Marie Louisa Hoag
1860 – 1912

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jerseyties

I have a few more bits of info. Obviously I have a lengthy family tree of Nancy Brown's descendants, of whom I am one! Malcolm McQuigg and his wife died in Dundas Co., Ontario, she in 1892 aged 76. I have her as Jane or Margaret Jane. I show a Mary Brown marrying Thomas Hazlett and with at least one son called Robert. {Aghadowey, what do you think about this?) Several of the families of descendants made sure to have a "Robert Browne" as one of the sons. My great uncle told me that there were 11 daughters "who all married locally"! think what that does to trying to find relatives. Certainly my grandfather was related to half of Aghadowey/ Garvagh, and a generation later people were getting mixed up and had forgotten. Certainly when Hugh Torrens of Mayoghil made a point of coming to funerals in our line of Torrenses, my mother's generation were puzzled because he wasn't a close connection through the Torrenses, but clearly I now know the connection was through the Browns

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have at least 8 of the daughters listed in my tree so far. I wish I had the International version of Ancestry so I could see the entries for the marriages in The Belfast Newsletter listing a Robert Brown as the father. Seems for a few of them he listed the number of the daughter..my 3rd gr grandmother Martha Brown was mentioned as third daughter of Robert Brown, Esq.,At least two of the others are numbered lol for lack of a better term for it. Hopefully he numbered them all in their marriage announcements. :)
With the help of our friend "aghadowey" I was able to see a copy of Robert's will. My Martha was already dead by then. She died in 1865 but one of her daughters Jane B. Hogg (Jane Brown Hogg/Hoag) is mentioned. My mother once told me we had relatives by the name of Brown but wasn't putting any of it together..Her mother was a Hoag.

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering what you thought about this, being Robert's parents and siblings (family 48). This is from 1796
(A list of the names of the respective towns families and individuals belonging to the presbyterian congregation of Garvagh as taken by James Brown in his course of visiting from the 19th January 1796) -keeping in mind that Robert and Jane (Henery) Brown were married at First Garvagh Presbyterian Church and were buried in Moneydig Presbyterian. Under the families listed for Moneydig, there are three Brown families..Only one with a Robert Brown:

Moneydig C 88 16 is a village 1/2 mile west of Culnamen on the road to Garvagh.
----- 46 ------
202 William Murrell
203 Mary Murrell
204 Robert Murrell
    Sam DO

----- 47 ------
205 Hugh Brown
206 Jennet Brown
207 John Brown
208 Mary Brown
209 Margrat Brown
210 Hugh Brown
211 Jennet Brown

----- 48 ------
212 Alexander Brown
213 Martha Brown
214 Samuel Brown
215 Mary Brown
216 John Brown
217 Martha Brown
218 Alexr Brown
219 Robert Brown ****
220 David Brown
221 Jean Brown
222 Thomas Brown
223 Margrat Brown

----- 49 ------
224 John Brown
225 Martha Brown
226 William Brown
227 Martha Brown
228 William Scott

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
What you've copied is a transcription done from copies and not the original notebook and there certainly are lots of errors in that information. My transcription taken from the original notebook is packed away for the foreseeable future so I can't say if what you've pasted is complete or other Browns are listed.

Bear in mind that marriages usually take place in the bride's church so it may only have been Jane's family who attended 1st Garvagh. Neighbours of the Browns did attend Aghadowey Presbyterian Church but unfortunately that records start much later than 1st Garvagh.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, just trying to nail down the areas the family may have lived in. Robert's census and newspaper articles said Bovagh but this was in 1831. Haven't a clue if any of these places are remotely near each other. The forename Alexander does show up in my Hogg family as Thomas/Martha's son David my 2nd gr grandfather names a son Alexander but this could very well have been a name in the Hogg family, since I don't know who Thomas Hogg's parents were.