Author Topic: Advice please on heir hunter company - Thank You  (Read 731 times)

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice please on heir hunter company - Thank You
« on: Thursday 17 April 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
Morning,

I need some advice or my friend does...
She received a letter from a Heir Hunter company yesterday, called (*)

The letter don't really say much, they say they believe she is a possible beneficiary to an estate they are researching. Then it goes on to say little bit of what they do, then a phone number to a meet up at her home..

I don't want her to fall into a trap if this company is not legit. I checked their website out and it really does not say much, which gives me alarm bells, even by the letter aswell, my friend is in her early 70's and is not too well, so it is quite concerning for me.

Many thanks for any help or advice in advance
Pam

Moderator comment:  Name removed. Please restrict your answers to tips and general information.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please on heir hunter company
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Have you had a look at the Governments Bona Vacantia list to see if you can spot a relative?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list

If you google the Company which you mention, you can view all of the information about them, including when the Company was formed, the directors details and any problems.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
It could be that the company has been employed by a solicitor, who is dealing with the estate of a deceased person, rather than someone from the Bona Vacantia listing.

I don't see anything sinister about a letter, rather than a phone call.  At least this way, she's got the chance to check them out without feeling pressurised in the moment she's on the phone.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 April 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
I found this, which may be of interest as to why your friend got a letter:

http://www.yorkshireorigins.co.uk/index.php?p=1_2_Why-Have-We-Contacted-You

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 April 14 10:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry for posting the name of the company, should of known better.

I have looked at the couple of links from the PM which was sent.
I will be with my friend when she phone's the company and also be with her if she
 decides for them to visit.. I've watch Heir Hunters since it's first episode, so have quite a lot of understanding of how it works, and being family history researcher for close to 8 years, that will help too.

Many thanks for your advice
Pam