Author Topic: The Dowdle family from Westport, Mayo  (Read 13149 times)

Offline Catherine P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Dowdle family from Westport, Mayo
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 March 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to add to my previous posts re Dowdles from Mayo. Has anyone else done an Ancestry DNA test? I have just sent off my sample so should have the results in 6 - 8 weeks. There was a special offer here (in Canada $99) so I decided to do it. I am really hoping that it will shed some light on to my various branches of my family tree but especially the Dowdles.
I had previously been under the assumption that it had to be a male (that testing probably would help) but this one should link me to any cousins who have also taken the test. This includes 4th, 5th, 6th cousins, cousins three times removed, aunts and uncles etc.
Hoping someone else might have taken the same test.
On another note; I have rechecked the National Library of Ireland, Westport parish register again. Although I can not find my Patrick Dowdle I looked at the pages where he should be. This register is an awful mess. Some of it is just illegible but some of it seems to have half pages ripped out. It is no wonder I can't find him.
Cath

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Cath
Yes, I did do the DNA test through Ancestry.com
I'm disappointed about the NLI Westport results.  I have a copy of Patrick H and Ann Hughes Dowdle's wedding certificate, performed there 1-27-1850.  Nancy and I renewed our vows in the church last July.
Let me know what you find out
Jim

Offline pbuxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hopefully I am doing this right. My grandmother was Annie Dowdle. Her son John Henry was my father. I have lots of information regarding this branch of the family

Offline pbuxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Catherine P, I live in Ontario and just did my DNA. Turns out 43% northern Scandinavian and 39% Irish. I know Dublin was a viking settlement, so there is probably the connection

Offline Catherine P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
Jim:
I will let you know when I get my results. Did you and Nancy renew your vows in the same church that your ancestors did? That is lovely.
Just looking at your info again. Your Patrick H Dowdle married in 1850. My grt, grt grandfather Patrick  Dowdle (son of Henry Dowdle) was born c 1849 -  so he was born just as your ancestor was getting married. I wonder if this is likely to mean they are more likely uncle and nephew or cousins.
pbuxton: did your family originate in Westport (Aughaval), Co. Mayo? I would be interested to know more.
For all Dowdle descendants on here - I have a tree on Ancestry. It is private but if I receive a request (stating what they are looking for) I will make my tree available. You have to register with Ancestry to do this.
Good ancestor hunting.
Cath

Offline Catherine P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
I was looking for a different Henry Dowdle on Ancestry and found a link to a Henry Dowdle from Westport. He was applying for a loan in 1846. His loan security was John Dowdle. It was from the Ireland sustainability loan fund. He borrowed One pound and ten shillings.
Cath

Offline Catherine P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
I was looking for a different Henry Dowdle on Ancestry and found a link to a Henry Dowdle from Westport. He was applying for a loan in 1846. His loan security was John Dowdle. It was from the Ireland sustainability loan fund. He borrowed One pound and ten shillings.
Cath

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, Nancy and I renewed our vows (with our entire family there) in June, 2017.  It was done at the 10:00 AM Mass, and we had company (regular Westport parishioners).  The priest gave us a little tour before hand and renewed the vows in front of the entire church - everyone applauded!  Very moving.  We received a certificate of the renewal which I can put in a frame with Patrick and Ann's original wedding license.  Ann was a Hughes.  When we traveled to Galway years ago, my daughters ran into some kids from Westport, who said "the Hughes family owns Westport."  I came to find out that Ann's family went into the hotel business and did very well.  Right after their wedding, Pat and Ann moved to Manchester, England, where their 3 boys were born.  She shipped the 2 oldest to America when they were 12 and 10 and stayed until Pat died very young.  He is buried in Aughavall Cemetery.  After that, she brought the youngest, William, to Chicago, and settled there.  Ann Hughes Dowdle died in 1889 at the age of around 62 which made her born in 1827 and 23 when married.  She is buried with other Dowdle's in Calvary Cemetery in Evanston, IL.  Her middle son, Patrick Henry (named after his dad) bought a house in Chicago where I was born and many Dowdle's lived for many years. 

Offline James Dowdle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
This all gets very confusing because there are so many Patricks, Henrys, Johns, etc.