Author Topic: From Rutland to Ireland and back again  (Read 676 times)

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
From Rutland to Ireland and back again
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
I've just started a new line (like I needed anymore on the go with the 20 or so I am already running) and I am not entirely sure where the best home for this post is.

My ancestor Mary Darippe (de Rippe, d'Arripe plus about 10 other different spellings) I infer was probably born in Rutland (two of her sisters were born there and a third died there, her parents - Abraham and Elizabeth - also died in Ketton in the late 1700s).  I imagine the family were fairly wealthy (their Wills, gravestones, houses etc).  So why on earth would a young woman with presumably no need to work leave Rutland and end up in Carlow in Ireland where she marries a Joseph Bishop in 1805?

After she had a number of children in Ireland, she remarries a Thomas Goodall from Wexford (although no idea what happened to hubby number 1) she next appears in Wisbech in around 1820 where her husband runs the Vine Inn and subsequently the White Lion.

I cant imagine travelling from deepest darkest Rutland to Ireland would have been all that easy in those days and then when she comes back, Wisbech isnt the most obvious place to end up.

I am flummoxed as to why she would just go to Ireland like this.  It is entirely possible that there is a link to the D'Arripes of Portarlington, but that is a wild guess.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? 
Plant - Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire
Bothamley, Pateman, Roffe,  - Northamptonshire
Thurlby, Baker, Kilbon - Lincolnshire
Hurry, Bishop - Cambridgeshire
Pretty, Coulson - Rutland
Shaw - Nottinghamshire
De Rippe - Rutland, Middlesex, Carlow

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: From Rutland to Ireland and back again
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
Ireland was still ruled by Britain in that timescale and Ireland was very much involved in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars - could Mary's father have been in army and stationed in Ireland for a time, taking family with him? Or could Joseph have been and he called for Mary to join him there?

The Portarlington Darippe surname seems to have had army links in the 1700s (and possible Huguenot).

Could Wisbech have been a possible Military connection too?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Scotsmum  :)

Thanks for the reply.  Mary's parents were dead by then.  I suppose she could have followed Joseph to Ireland but I have no idea where they might have met.  I cant find where he was born or died.  Nor can I find a record that would fit for Joseph having been in the military - there is one possible hit, but that chap ended up in Somerset which simply doesn't fit with all the children he and Mary had in Ireland.

The D'Arripes at Portarlington are fascinating, and absolutely definitely Huguenot, but I'm not sure if there is a link or not - I'm sure there isnt a direct lineage link, but I suppose David D'Arripe (the first settlor in Ireland from France) may have had a brother.

I guess I shall never know, but its one of those things that invokes my curiosity (or nosiness as Mr BM would say).  Another family mystery that I'll never know "why"!
Shaw - Nottinghamshire

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 April 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to say, I dont think Wisbech had a military connection, per se, but it was (and to some extent still is) a port.  Another ancestor on a completely different line disembarked a ship there after returning from 21 years' service in India. 
Shaw - Nottinghamshire

Offline Louisa_ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi ,I assume from your post that Rutland you refer to is not Rutland Carlow Ireland. Just to add to the confusion .Louisa Ann.

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 May 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa_Ann

No, the Rutland I referred to is Rutland near Leicestershire.  Mary was born in Ketton.

The plot thickens.  Mary was baptised in 1788 so when she got married in 1805 in Carlow (I've never seen the original only a printed record) must have been very young - assuming that she was baptised within a few weeks or months of birth.

Her son on his marriage certificate in 1840 describes his father as an "Innkeeper".  Now I dont know whether he refers to his father Joseph Bishop as an innkeeper or his step father Thomas Goodall as an innkeeper (Thos Goodall was an innkeeper for a while and then a farmer).

Mary is a mystery!

Shaw - Nottinghamshire