Author Topic: Winnipeg Free Press Newspaper  (Read 909 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Winnipeg Free Press Newspaper
« on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for a couple of obituaries that seem to be in the Winnipeg Free Press for the years 1994 and 1988. 

Can someone tell me where I can get copies of these on line?  Ancestry has the newspaper, but doesn't seem to have the dates I require.

Thanks for any help!
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winnipeg Free Press Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
I am not sure about online, but the university here in town may have them microfilmed.  It is a bit tricky to get to the university, but I know where they are :D if need be.

What/who are you looking for?? If they were from Saskatchewan, there may be mention in the local paper here as well and those obituaries are indexed back to 1946.

Jeff

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
You could check out the Newspaper Archives, which has the Winnipeg Free Press. 
http://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/
They may have the years you are looking for.  There is a subscription fee, but it's not much for a short-term subscription.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
The Winnipeg Free Press Archives are at this link but the shortest subscription you can get is a week for about $10: http://archives.winnipegfreepress.com/

If you let me know the names I can look them up for you as I do have a subscription. I can send copies to you if you PM me your email address.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone!  I ended up getting a week subscription to the Winnipeg Free Press :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!